Turntable advice

Hello everyone, I’m looking to buy my first turntable and want to get some advice about two specific turntables that I’m looking at. I can get both of these for a similar cost, so I’m looking for opinions on which way I should go. First, my current system consists of Rockport Cygnus, McIntosh mc1.25kw’s, McIntosh c2700 (will be used as phono stage at the start), dcs Bartok apex for digital, Cardas clear reflection cables (not power), rel no 31 pair of subs and torus power units. 

The tables that I’m down to (unless I choose to not spend as much out the gate) are a VPI Avenger Plus, most likely with a Hana ML cartridge and a Pure Fidelity Harmony with the illustrious se Tonearm and either the same cart or potentially the stratos cartridge. 

If I go this route, I’d like something that could eventually get more out of upgrades cartridges or tonearms down the road. Any advice or thoughts would be helpful, especially if you have experience with both. Thanks in advance!

128x128dan_springer

Harmony and the ML. Later you can upgrade to the Umami blue/ Red. They have a really great trade in policy at certain times of the year. 

@dan_springer, by all means stay with your dealer. Before you buy anything I think you should learn as much as you can about the physics of playing a record. There are also some quirks with the market you should understand. One good one is the pricing of cartridges. Audiophiles will pay more for a moving coil cartridge. The manufacturers respond to this by charging more for moving coil cartridges, much more. Below about $2000 you will get more performance from high output cartridges. Moving Iron cartridges in particular such as Soundsmith and Grado cartridges are fine performers. I suggest you watch this video it is a great primer on turntable and tonearm design. Just keep in mind that with high performance cartridges anti skating is mandatory. 

Turntables primary function is to play records, not to look cool or impress the neighbors. I would not mind getting a list of all the turntables and cartridges your dealer carries. I would be happy to comment their design if you like.e

IME- asking a question like that in this forum will give you exactly zero resolution to the question.  I suggest that you already know what table you want and are looking for validation of your decision.  Go with your gut!  It’s your rig you have to enjoy it! You can’t go wrong if you feel it’s right for you!

Post removed 
Post removed