Tubes for Magnepan’s.

I think next up on my acquisition list is a tube amplifier. I'm not looking for the be all end all, cause I don’t think there is a definitive "Best", so am looking for as good as I can get for $3-4k.

Because tubes drive speakers so much more efficiently than solid state I am only looking for 40-50 watts to drive my modded Maggie’s, 1.7i's. (Or what you have when you add a new crossover and planer tweeters to 1.7i's.) Maybe 2.7x? I haven’t settled on that yet. And I have some Zu Dirty Weekend's upgraded to the max coming in in 2 months to replace my KEF's.

Anyway, I haven’t had a tube device since my Halicrafter short wave radio, and reviews are not the same as advice from people that own something. There is a Rouge Audio dealer in my area, last I looked, (opps, they no longer carry them), so I may have to go to another market to hear something, or get a try before you buy from a manufacturer or dealer.

You folks have taught me a lot, and I think asking users is the right thing to do on this change in direction.

Thanks in advance.
128x128william53b

Showing 2 responses by decathlon1991

I use to have the Magnepan 1.7’s. I used the Cary Audio SLP05 preamp with the Ultimate Upgrade and a Cary Audio CAD805 AE Monoblock amplifiers (Pure Class A 70 Watts with the 211 Output Tube). The sound was incredible. Remember, it’s not so much about the watts, it’s about the dynamics and stored energy from the capacitors that can handle the outburst of energy from whatever music you are listening too. The Cary’s were perfectly fine. I wasn’t looking for concert blow your eardrums sound. Also, not all big tube amplifiers run extremely hot. McIntosh MC2301 Monoblocks are not cheap but put out 300W of power and due to the design, runs no warmer than most solid state amplifiers today. The tubes are spaced out with ample spacing in between on the plate. Hope this helps.