TRANSPORTER???

What does it do exactly? Thanks.
widespreadpanic
Thanks for the help, folks. I was looking at the oppo 205 last night. This thing looks like it can deliver audio from any medium except tape and lp’s. Out of my budget but I can be patient and save for a couple more months. Any thoughts for a novice choosing this oppo?

How about the 203?

CD transport ~ LP turntable.

Many transports have the DAC in the same box=CD player, whereas very few turntables have the phono amp built in (but a few inexpensive ones do).

The phono amp is usually either stand-alone or in the pre-amp.

Same with DACs, stand-alone or in the pre-amp.

I like the two separate DAC’s, one dedicated for stereo output, of which balanced outputs are offered. To wit, I have balanced connectors and inputs on my preamp and my main audio medium will be digital. My stepfather has a vintage turntable and reel to reel that I secretly smile and wink at when I visit my parents and consider the empty space that they will fill in my system one day. Until I get to fiddle with those toys it’s my 300 disc collection and I like the looks of services like Roon.
So we have a Spreadhead secretly plotting his parents demise in his lust for a reel to reel player? So typical. :p Seriously though the Oppo is a very solid unit and quite flexible. A good starting point for novice audiophile. Cheers!