Townshend Springs under Speakers

I was very interested, especially with all the talk.   I brought the subject up on the Vandersteen forum site, and Richard Vandersteen himself weighed in.   As with everything, nothing is perfect in all circumstances.  If the floor is wobbly, springs can work, if the speaker is on solid ground, 3 spikes is preferred.
128x128stringreen

Showing 21 responses by tomic601

3 time Grammy winner vs self appointed Albert. i know which way i would go. Conflate is inflate spelled wrong, as in inflate ego.
In Finance and Econ it’s called survivor theory …the survivors color the long run data. Dead men tell no tales. When Bitcoin corrects, the big losers….well you get the idea. Same for negatives in audio… Wonder how many cheap Schuman generators are out there…humming away… the dopamine hit…long gone…..
@grannyring a careful read of his posting history shows the gushing BEFORE the product arrives. Over more than one and not limited to Townsend.

One does wonder if Max knows the baggage he picked up or if £ or $ is his only objective.

Cue the sycophants…..
yep, just look at the impulse test, a few peers… Jim Theil, Dunlavey ( RIP )… odd that Kef chose to fix the impulse response of the LS50 in the digital domain.

Also odd non Vandersteen owners take issue with his listening and measurements…of springs… all are free to listen and decide for themselves…. what did you just call it in another thread ; “imagined enemy “

indeed, look homeward….
As is one with 11 band EQ below 120 hz with performance measured….wait for it…in room. 

a time and phase correct speaker with inert enclosure and pistonic drivers is the very definition of outlier.

@roxy54 my bad , i assumed you were another agon who had run RT60 curves. Carry on
It is more than just inert cabinet…i will chose my words carefully, time and phase correct drivers with same filters, inert cabinet that converts vibration to heat, pistonic drivers. Think thru what a spring does to a system like that. IF your ear/brain not sensitive to some of the above, spring away !

So no doubt, many speakers will benefit from a variety of schemes, Townsend hardly has a monopoly….

@roxy54 You are one of the few here who can measure RT60, try harder on the previous posters well thought out possible test method.

Finally, Apogee Stages on Sound Anchors….
tweak……and so few are time aligned and phase correct…so springs “ work “ for them. The narrow focus of tge tgread should have applied… alas..

Mike - i would also trade the high end gear and sonics to relive my young adulthood… 
Hi Mike - The Wave Kinetics certainly ain’t springs. To me they seem quite similar to some but not all of the engineering in an HRS Nimbus. They claim An 80% reduction in loudspeaker harmonic distortion seems incredible…..can you ask what the test methodology was for that, because, well thats freaking amazing … Are they $1,600 a pop ? i would need 6.  $9,600. How many are you using ?
Best
Jim

Heavy…best to study the 7 first.. Re the narrow baffle face…but i passed along your job application, how far are you from Hanford… 2 hot for me..

Hello to rabbit and pup.

Jim
From my read, Star sound ain’t springs. Looks intriguing and the sane , at least two seem to use to good effect. Reasonable $, will give them a whirl under something.

Mike - Nice to see you weigh in. Like you, i have heard my speakers at both Vandersteen house in his massive room with concrete floors and again as he set them up here on my suspended glue/ lam I beam truss floor.

Horses for courses. 
Doppler….it’s simple…

if F=MA explained the whole universe, what a boring place it would be. Somebody skipped a few lessons…

the 7 weighs less than the 225# 5a, yet has better cabinet performance…because somebody didn’t just sit on laurels… It incorporates advances in science and materials. I can hear it having owned both the 5a and the 7.  

Also the main but not sole source of vibration energy in the 5a and first 2 model 7’s is the 12” dual voice coil push pull driver….wait for it… aligned vertically…..Let me know when the 1812 cannon shot levitates that 225# 5a, or pins it to the floor. Tell me where the lever is again ? Like i said before, the Kento and new 7 extreme use force cancellation drivers ….mounted very low in the cabinet…

All Vandy speakers come w 3 spike attachment points including String’s 5a, i assume he is using them.

Bedrock came about in a creative collaboration with Helmut Brinkmann ( ya that guy ) at the Munich show. 

All this isn't new…good speaker designers from a host of cutting edge firms which come to mind are trying to build lower resonant cabinets that don’t reflect energy back into the drivers…

and some like Harbeth build superb sounding kit despite it…

Finally, measure and listen… tools for measuring the cabinet radiated and stored energy release ( think that thru )  are widely available and frankly inexpensive, ditto access to a laser scanner to see what a cone or panel is doing relative to the input signal….

Excuse me while i go listen to my Quads….the BBC  has a lecture on …..quantum physics…I am wondering why a genius like Peter Walker would emulate a point source on a planer driver….it probably has something to do with …..F

For the DIY crowd, Bedrock could be somewhat duplicated w Granite, some thoughtful milling and Green Glue or another constrained layer elastomer of your choice….

carry on, enjoy your music, springs, etc !,,,,

also, for the earnest on the thread, the competing product I mentioned  Bedrock is a very narrow market specialized ( and optimized for load / vibration for speaker by Vandersteen speaker  ) for Vandersteen speakers only. They are not intended for X, Y, Z brand…just like the purpose built M5 and M7 amplifiers..

I think Stringreen should cast a wide net. He strikes me as a music lover seeking to increase his enjoyment and emotional connection to the music.

do me a favor and put me on your list of 18, 18 thousand…whatever you are up to now…..
the truth is start with a low resonance cabinet….

a point you miss, and miss and miss…..
in my attempt to not promote a competing product aka shill i didn’t mention Vandersteen partnered a high tech firm making constrained layer compound make a “ bedrock “ granite base that Vandy products couple to via three poinrs. Constrained layer damping converts motion to heat and also greatly reduces reflections back from floor to loudspeaker. 

When you dive deep into Vandersteen you discover what i call the orbit of excellence - they tend to show with ARC, Aesthetix, Basis, Brinkmann, Lyra, HRS Triplaner, Audioquest - sharing the spur for innovation and idea, even patent sharing ( DBS ). Another example is R core power supply transformers….

MC of course misses the point that Vandersteen is hardly just a theoretical guy, listen and measure. I expected no less a low reading comprehension retort.
Also both the Kento and new 7 extreme use a force cancellation alignment of the unique to Vandersteen Scanspeak bass drivers, reducing already low cabinet movement. 

Fun

Since 1977
Because allowing the cabinet to move, especially in a low cabinet resonance, pistonic motion, time and phase design smears the signal. On a moving floor this smearing is already happening. RV actually tested the subject product and wrote about the plus / minus achieved by him with his speakers, including measurements and listening. 

As i recall the OP here has 5a.

As always, other speakers or floor combinations may benefit.