To Tone or Not to Tone, that is the question.

I am in the process of moving houses, and as such, I am finally getting around (not that it wasn't a priority) to hooking up my stereo system.

Room treatments, etc... are not installed/set up yet, but the "basic" components are in.

I ran into a situation where I was having an issue with my subwoofer and getting it to play nicely in the new room with different sources.

I am using a Classe CP800 preamp, which allows you to set different "tone controls" (or a complete lack thereof) for each individual source.

I currently have a Yamaha CD-s2100 SACD player and also a cheap Sony DVD/SACD 5 disc changer hooked up.

Playing around in the preamp settings, I put the Sony (borderline junk) on "bypass mode", which made a big improvement to it's sound.

Further playing around, and the Yamaha (a MUCH higher quality unit) sounds better using the tone settings turned on.

Is this normal?

Perhaps after I get the room treatments installed, this will be subject to change?

It just got me thinking/wondering if most folks use their tone controls, or tend to bypass them all together (like I say, in my particular instance, this is independently configurable for each source).

Just struck me as kind of odd, so I figured I would post it here.

128x128coralkong

Showing 1 response by deadhead1000

I have a Luxman AX590ii which has both tone controls and a loudness control, both can be bypassed. I mostly use the loudness it when I’m listening late at night at low volumes, but will sometimes use it to give the bass a boost on hard rock (I have a JL sub). I am sure purists will get upset, but it’s all about enjoying the music. Sometimes a little Boom-box sound is fun. I do not use the tone controls on classical, except maybe the 1812 overture……

That said, get yourself a better amp as soon as you can. It will make a world of difference. Even a low powered one if money is an issue.