To Preamp Or Not To Preamp Vac 30/30 MkII

Hello everyone. My current system consists of Vac 30/30 MkII, Wadia 860x and Audio Physics Virgoes. I am developing an itch to upgrade by adding a preamp in the 2-5 K range used and possibly upgrading Vac to Mk III se status at VAC for $2400. Please help me decide which will have a more profound improvement and if you have a similar system what brand of preamp, interconnect and speaker cable synergy you have found to work best. I listen to mostly jazz, male and female vocals and some rock. Yhanks for your input.
endoit
If you decide to use a preamp, you will need to get something really good if you want to make an improvement. I have similar equipment equipment so I may be able to give you some general ideas. Your 860 should be a very good match without using a preamp. I have an 861SE myself, that I currently use in my main system but I do have a 30/30 Mk3 and have used them both together. I feel it is an excellent combination. I haven't heard a Mk2, but I can't imagine it being all that different from the one I have.

For myself, I prefer a preamp. The Wadia, however, is good enough that you can still get great sound without it. That's why I say you will need to get a really good one. Another option may be to upgrade you 860 to an 861 or an 861SE (If Wadia is still in business). I would stay away from cables right now because you are not done with your system and your components are very good, all around, performers. Nothing needs to be fixed. You just need them to transfer signal, so whatever you decide to do in the future, cables should be easy.

I you were to ask me what should you do first, I would recommend you demo a new preamp. A preamp will probably make the biggest change in sound quality (good or bad). However, I wouldn't even consider buying one without trying it in your system first.
Endoit,
You have an excellent amplifier (also I really like the 70/70 version).This
level of amplifier deserves top shelf preamp, then lookout! As you know
there are two camps, direct source vs preamp added.I side with using a
quaility active preamp for maximum sound realization. In your price range I
would suggest that you consider the Coincident Statement linestage.It will
mate beautifully with your high caliber VAC 300b based amplifier. I believe
you'd have world class sound for very reasonable money.The CSL is
exceptionally natural, transparent, nuanced and dynanmic just a good
match into your system. Pdreher is right about the Ocellia cables, they are
fabulous and utterly natural in character. Well that's my 2 cents worth.Best
of luck to you.
Regards,
Thanks so much for your input. I find that Wadia works great at moderate to loud sound levels on the volume control i.e level 20-55 straight into the VAC. At low levels 8-20 I seem to loose dynamics, debth, seperation etc. When I use the Wadia at level 100 with a moderately priced integrated tube amp using amps volume control sound improves at low levels. Any thoughts on whether Wadia just works best set at the highest level?
Upgrading your amp is something you will be well rewarded for. I sent my VAC PA 35.35 in to Kevin & Co. It's like I bought a new, much more expensive VAC.

I have been using for years, a Sonic Euphoria passive line stage. Tremendous quality of sound, and no problems with having enough gain (actually not gain, as all it does is attenuate), (my analog front end, surprisingly, is actually a few db's louder than my digital front end).

There are adherents to both camps, active and passive pres, but this has worked very well for me. Good luck.

Regards,
Dan
The issue with the volume control has never bothered me. I understand that with the lower settings, you loose resolution. I did a pretty good test a few years back with some friends who wanted to find out how much of a sound quality loss there was with regards to lower volume settings. To make a long story short, none of us could hear any difference as all, regardless of volume setting. Actually, you are the first person I've spoken to that has heard a difference. Wadia says that you may hear a difference at settings less than 67. I guess they were right after all.

Either way, there may be a simple solution to all of this. From the looks of your post, it doesn't appear that you are aware that you can change the overall gain of your CD player. Its a feature that Wadia has that allows you to keep your volume setting as close to 100 as you can. (It also helps for high efficiency speakers as well, but thats not the case here.) All you have to do is flip the unit over and remove the 4 feet at the corners. Once you do that, you will have access to a threaded rod in each corner. Unscrewing them lets the remove the top. After you get the top off you will see a row of DIP switches. They control overall gain. Just experiment with it until you find a spot that lets you max out your volume as close to 100 as possible.