To all you Cary SLI 80 owners, I'm looking for tube suggestions

Hello all, I have a one year old Cary SLI 80 HS and I have not changed a thing on it. Same tube set it came from the factory with. KT88's are Psvane, input tubes are JJ's.  It is a sublime match with my Volti Razz speakers. 

My question is this, what have you all tried with rolling tubes? Anyone try output variants? EL34's, KT 77 or 66's. Or have you changed out input tubes and noted and enjoyable difference?

Any and all suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you,

Doug

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xdoyle3433

@immatthewj  yes to both questions. 

@pdreher , although the write up on RAM's site didn't come right out and say so, I am thinking what I did get out of it indicated that RAM's EL34s are the reissued Mullards?

@immatthewj My Cary V12 came with Rubys. At the time, I thought it was a great sound. I was under the impression that these were EL34s that were rebranded by Ruby? For some reason, and I may be wrong, at the time (’01) I was under the impression that the Ruby EL34s were Chinese?

Shuguang EL34BSTR labeled as Ruby. I had them in my Cary V12R and liked them quite a bit. They sounded exceptionally good after I recapped the amp with Mundorf EVO Silver-Gold coupling caps. I liked them quite a bit actually. For sale here at Doug’s Tubes to get some ideas for comparison.

@immatthewj I recall Roger Modjeski telling me they are Shuguang made to mimic NOS Mullard sound quality.   @clio09 may want to weigh in to confirm.

I don't recommend Mullard re-issues, as I found them to be bland and soft when used in a Music Reference RM9.

I see that Cary lists a number of tubes you can use in the amp. KT66 is not one of them and I would not recommend trying them in an amp that boasts 40 wpc output in triode mode and 80 wpc in UL mode. You’re in danger of overheating the tubes and maybe damaging the amp. In my experience an EL34 will have more midrange emphasis and "warmth" than a KT88. I would suggest Svetlanas. Again, IME, they have the warmest midrange of any EL34s I’ve used. But I think that any quality EL34 will give you the extra warmth that you’re looking for.  The Shuguangs mentioned get very good comments and might be an option.