Tidal FLAC vs. Qobuz

Does the recent change by Tidal, from MQA to FLAC make Tidal the better choice for streaming?  Or, since Tidal only seems to offer FLAC on its own app and not the BluOS defeat the purpose since you need to transmit by Bluetooth instead of ethernet?  

Currently, I stream from Tidal over direct ethernet cable to a Bluesound Vault streamer, to a McIntosh amp and Revel speakers.  I have a trial membership to  Qobuz but I find Tidal has a much better catalog.  Since Tidal added Flac I thought it would be the obvious choice moving forward, but isn't the point of FLAC defeated since you need to send wirelessly from the Tidal app over Bluetooth?

mojo771

Showing 14 responses by mojo771

@lalitk 

I  actually started looking for a new streamer but I really like the BluOS so now I'm looking for a DAC.  I test drove the Rose 150 streamer/dac but it didn't sound much different and I like the bluos better.  Many reviews on the Rose talked about the beautiful screen, but I don't need a beautiful screen since I use the Blu app.  I have received many suggestions - ranging from a $600 dac to a 10k dac, but my local dealer only has the Rose.  So I would need to buy some DACs knowing that I'm going to test drive and then return all but one.  I hate to do that.

For example;  ELP -

Qobuz has 9 HiRes and 21 cd options. 

Tidal has 43 mqa, 23 flac, and 16 cd options

@chocaholic Thanks for pointing out the original question.  I agree that it seems counter productive to use Bluetooth. I know that you can listen to Qobuz and Tidal through the BluOS app, but I think you can only stream mqa through the BleOS app but need to go to the Tidal app to get flac level streaming, and I thought the only way to connect it to the Vault was through Bluetooth.  But maybe there is a wired option?

I just read a bit about the Denefrips you suggested and it sound like a great addition to my system.  I've been looking for a new DAC but haven't found the right one yet.  BTW, what Revel speakers do you have.  I had the Revel F208 and recently got the Studio 2.    I also have the Niagara power conditioner instead of the Teddy.  

Ive been emailing Tidal support and Bluesound support for clarification.  It seems like the BluOS app only streams Tidal as high as mqa and the only way to get flac from Tidal is through the Tidal CONNECT app and NOT the BluOS app.  So I can stream wired through the BluOS at mqa quality OR I can use the Tidal connect app to get flac, but only connect wirelessly.  So I thought Tidal had solved the flac issue but if its only wirelessly then I will need to stay with mqa or go to Qobuz on the BluOS app.

@yage Honestly I'm not sure if its wifi or Bluetooth.  But its still wireless flac vs the mqa direct wired streaming when I use the ethernet to the Vault.  So I think wired mqa is still better than wireless flac.  But maybe we need an audio engineer for a definitive answer.

@bipod72 Yes, but you're not getting the highest audio resolution.  Qobuz has h res flac, and the Tidal Connect app does, but not regular Tidal.  

I can stream Tidal and Qobuz direct to my Bluesound and the phone is merely a remote.  But to get hi-res flac from Tidal you have to use the Tidal Connect app on your phone, but can only play over a 2 channel amp / tower speakers by using wireless hifi.  Wireless defeats the purpose of Tidal Connect and hi res streaming  

Except Spotify / Tidal are not hi res.  Only Qobuz is high res flac.  Qobuz also has many cd quality options that are not hi res flac. Tidal is mqa, which many say is not really hi res, Which is why they went to flac (on some recordings) but only thru Tidal Connect app.  And Tidal says you cannot get hi res flac unless you go to their Tidal Connect App which is not available on the Bluesound, so only mqa.    

@bipod72  

This is where I got annoyed at both Bluesound and Tidal.  They are very careful with their wording on this issue.  I had to email them both multiple times to get a straight answer.  They seem to be intentionally misleading.  

Tidal is "integrated" into the BluOS.  So you can stream mqa from tida; usiing only the BS Vault.  And Tidal has flac thru Tidal Connect on the Tidal Connect app, that you can stream through the Vault - wirelessly.  But you cannot access flac direct from tidal thru the Vault. 

My BluOS app was just updated after an update prompt, and the Tidal Connect app was just released. 

So now, I subscribe to both Tidal and Qobuz.  I stream Qobuz hi res flac direct thru the Vault, and when they don't have a flac option available I stream mqa from Tidal.  I see no reason to use the Tidal Connect, unless / until they "integrate" into the BluOS as they do with mqa Tidal 

Mclinnguy, Maybe it has something to do with genre.  I mostly listen to classic rock, and I ususally see many more mqa and flac options with Tidal, while Qobuz has more flac, but then a LOT of cd options in their catalog.  When offered a choice between Qobuz cd vs. Tidal mqa, I go with Tidal.  

My hope was that Tidal would be the clear favorite now, since they started streaming flac as well, but my question is, is it comparable to Qobuz flac if you need to send Tidal flac wirelessly over Bluetooth from the Tidal app, instead of streaming thru the BluOS like you can with Tidal mqa.

@eagledriver_22 

The Bluesound Vault has an ethernet port for connecting directly to the router.  But the only way to get the Tidal flac is through the Tida Connect App and not the BluOS app.  Theres no way to directly connect my android phone or pc to the Vault, so it needs to be wireless.  

Hopefully, mspot is correct and Bluesound will correct this and Tidal Connect flac will be integrated into the BluOS like the Tidal mqa is.

In the meantime, I can keep both Qobuz and Tidal.

@yage I've been emailing Tidal and Bluesound for days now and it appears the only way to get flac is through the Tidal Connect app and not the Bluesound app that is imbedded in the Vault.    The BluOS integrated in the Vault is limited to mqa.  But maybe they are working on another upgrade.

@gkelly I did demo the Rose 150, but I was in the middle of changing the entire system - amp, pre, speakers, t table etc, so maybe I didn't give the Rose a fair chance.  Since then I have done more research and it seems like much of the hype around the Rose was the screen and there were better stand alone dac's at that price.  In addition, I like the BluOS better than the rose OS.  So now that I have the system i want and have started using both Tidal and Qobuz, I want to start looking at dacs again.

@gkelly I admit I bought the Niagara without knowing the diff between the PC and a LPS.  Can you give me a simple explanation between the two?