Thinking about switching cartridges.

I have a 2 year old Rega P-10. I'm thinking about switching out the Aphelion 2 for a Hana Red. Is this a waste of money? Your thoughts. Thanks in advance. 

marshinski15

Showing 9 responses by tomic601

@lewm Did you form the listening impression of The 17D3 with the Dyna and or Triplaner or another ? i’ve so far only had it on my 505. Best to you in music !
jim

Yes but Y m isn’t the only variable to control, mass matters as well, hence one but not the only reason for the VERY short 17D3 cantilever…..

Hopefully obvious… i certainly have a LOT of respect for J Carr at Lyra….

Raul - Yes, i am aware of Chackster STRONG preference for certain designs. i do remember his system photos and i would put him as a lifelong learner, as i also aspire …. My comment re Dynavector was in relationship to Mijo question.

@lewm I believe you are correct. Last i checked Dynavector offered a credit for exchange and i believe at under $3k new, that they represent fantastic value… IF they work with arm / etc….. all constraints you know well.

Yes Russia…probably a difficult environment given world events…. 

A favorite of mine and in the stable is the Dynavector 17D3 with a very short diamond cantilever….. but again…. it’s a system with a variety of trades that get made….

Of course, i am experienced in Soundsmith work. ;-) more than a few times now. 

Hopefully we have helped the OP

@rauliruegas i believe you are thinking of Chackster.   buddy of mine just got a nice Vintage Grace from him…. certainly they knew what they were doing…. ha

@mijostyn I do have a lot of respect for you…in a sense… like the baseball loves the bat… We do violently agree on the RP-10…. only with isolation ;-)

Of course the Delos is formidable but should be eclipsed by the $2x ¥ Red… especially considering the oft ignored economic scale Excel enjoy and frankly created by dominating the lower end MC market and …. now..VERY wisely giving those hordes of happy ML customer two destinations to upgrade toooooo. Blue n Red….. 

Also, Lederman has some thoughts on mistracking .. is analog really sampling…..

to the OP w no other data on your system configuration, i expect IF you dont have HRS equal or better ( Minus K ) isolation…. a better cartridge will be mired in the mechanical noise floor…

Just my $1.49…. should have been $3 but i have an occlusion…..

There is a LOT more to it than stylus shape. A careful look at alignment and adhesive ( if applicable ) might be just as illustrative of quality… then there is suspension, tie back, coil former geometry, quality of the wire…. blah, blah…

Have you heard a Red at any length Mijo or is this an artifact of your negative polarity Hana bias ?