Thinking about selling my CD collection = MP3

I am having serious thoughts about selling my 1,500 or so CD collection and going to MP3 playback format. At one time I use to have the time and sit in front of my system and really listen, I mean sit and really get into the music. Now with two kids, and the band that I play guitar in, there is simply no time. My listening consists of in the car or in the house while I am doing something else. I am thinking about ripping my collection to my computer, selling the CDs and my CD player and using a large storage MP3 player as my source. Any thoughts? Anyone else out there do this?
gretsch6120
Gretsch6120, are you really sure that you want to sell all your CDs for MP3? Sounds like something you might regret down the road. 1500 CDs don't take that much space to store (unlike 1500 LPs).

Are you keeping a lossless version around on harddrive in addition to MP3? I would make sure to do at least that. Upgrades to your system or changes in your listening behaviour might reveal some of the flaws in MP3. Its good to have at least a full version around.

Good luck!

Rene
what about the time when we all flouted the copyright law of making copy versions on a cassette deck (to play them in the car) of our favourite LP's. Fine so far in a copyright perspective, but when the LP was no longer playable and we dumped it, what then?
I ripped my CD's to MP3 some time back. Now doing the whole thing over again & ripping to FLAC file format. Even at my advanced age (58), my ears can hear the difference between an Mp3 and a FLAC. Now almost stopped using my CD player too as streaming all from my computer via a Slimdevices Transporter.

Think twice before selling! The MP3 files ain't as good as that which you are selling!!

Dan
>Think twice before selling! The MP3 files ain't as good as that which you are selling!!<

After reading this whole thread, I don't think sound quality ever entered into the picture.

Oz
I have to be very honest, listening to my iPod through my Jolida 302b / Tyler Acoustic Ref. Monitors sounds damn good!Going back and forth between my iPod an Joida CDP, there is not much difference. Also, it is pretty exciting to have all my music in one small pack that I can bring anywhere and hook up to any source. So far I have 11,600 songs stored on my 80gig iPod. I still have more CDs to rip to my computer / iPod, I have plenty of storage space left. BTW, I still have some CDs left for sale.