Thinking about getting a R2R DAC

Dear community,

I currently have a chord qutest DAC. I like it a lot, very full sound, accurate detailed and exciting.  However, whenever I go back to vinyl (with a well-recorded nice pressing) I find the sound so much more satisfying.  There is a warmth, yes, but there is a presence, a 'there-ness' that I just don't get with the digital.  I'm wondering if an R2R DAC would get me closer to that?  my budget would be around the same as the qutest.  I was looking at the MHDT Orchid or the Border Patrol.  Don't get me wrong, I really like the Qutest.  I am thinking of putting it in the upstairs system to pair with the Node2i I have up there.  Any thoughts?  Will analog always just be a different animal than digital?

Currently in the main system I have a Sonore uRendu feeding the Qutest which is going to a LTA MZ2 going to a Pass XA 30.5

thanks!
adam8179

Showing 5 responses by adam8179

Thanks everyone for your responses!  I'll look into the Audio Note idea and the Audio Mirror Toubador III.  I'm still considering the MHDT Orchid.  I've heard mixed things about the multibit offerings from Schiit but they offer a great value.  (I had their $120 phono stage for a while and was blown away by how good it sounded for $120!)  I'd love to hear the Border Patrol but the distortion gives me pause.  I know there is good euphonic even order distortion that is pleasing to the ear but I think my preference is more in the middle of the euphonic vs ultra resolving spectrum.  @jjss49 I agree that there's really no substitute for listening.  As an out of work musician I don't have the funds to buy a bunch and compare at home unfortunately.  Can I come over and listen to yours?  JK
thanks djones51,  The qutest does have some filters that you can enable to warm things up a bit.  3 levels of it but there isn't any fine tuning available.  I find though that the DAC retains its character with the highs rolled off a little with these filters.  Both my girlfriend and I agree that when we put on a record there's an "ahhhhh" moment where the music just feels in the room with you.  There are areas where digital sounds better but I guess I'm looking for that magic of vinyl and I was wondering if the R2R comes closer
@cat_doorman,

My vinyl setup is a Rega P3 with all the upgrades (neo psu, white belt, groove tracer everything) and an apheta 2 cart.  Phono stage is an Avid Pellar
Thanks everyone for this discussion.  It has been very informative!  I've looked up many of the R2R DACs that you guys have suggested and there are so many interesting-looking choices.  In the end, I had to choose something so I went with an MHDT Pagoda DAC.  The MHDTs seemed to be calling to me and with my Buddhist tendencies, I had to go with the Pagoda.  I listen to a fair amount of hi-res music on Qobuz so the Pagoda's 24bit capability sealed the deal.  I'm excited to dip my toe into the R2R DAC world and see how it compares to my Chord Qutest as they are at similar price points.  I ordered it today on the LTA website and I'll give an update when it arrives.  Thanks again everyone!
So I got the MHDT Pagoda today and put it up against the Qutest.  I know I need to let the Pagoda break in so it's not quite a fair comparison yet.  It was very interesting.  I like aspects of both.  

The Pagoda has a fuller richer tone.  More meat on the bones.  The soundstage is broader.  There is an analog character to it that is very appealing.  Mids are rich and broad and colorful without any sense of bloat

The Qutest is more resolving.  It's a leaner presentation.  Going back and forth it feels like the mids got sucked out.  However the highs and high mids are more present and give a much more 3D soundstage.  The Pagoda is big but more 2D in comparison.  The Qutest feels faster and more nimble whereas the Pagoda is like a big steak dinner.

I am quite shocked at how different these 2 DACs sound.  I really like both but I am leaning toward keeping the Qutest in my main system as I miss the 3D soundstage that the Chord provides.  I might have to sacrifice richness for soundstage.  

My girlfriend who is also a musician preferred the Qutest

I'm going to keep breaking in the Pagoda and maybe roll a different tube in there at some point and see what happens.  Thanks again everyone for your help!