Thiel 3.6 vs. Spendor SP100 vs. PSB GOLD

Many of you praise the 3.6s (although w/equipment caveats). Has anyone compared them to the SPENDORS (praised, but criticized for so-so imaging & loose bass), or the PSB Stratus Gold (another liked & hated speaker), & even to the Vandersteens? Could you characterize the strengths & weaknesses of these speakers?
kevziek

Showing 1 response by artmaltman

3.6 are severely revealing and inefficient. They require LOTS Of CLEAN power but can reward you nicely. Spendors are very forgiving and will sound beautiful. I think Thiel is best for your audiophile periods, where you want to clearly hear the difference testing between cables, and want to hear your best recorded audiophile recordings at their best. Spendor is "music lover" speaker, even though it definitely sounds better as you provide better electronics and source material. BTW, the box Spendors are a little bit klunky in the home, the newer FL series looks more elegant. I purchased the FL-9 which is the least expensive FL series to offer the much loved tweeter of the Classic and Master series. I have owned 7 pairs of Thiels in the past but I kind of decided to give myself a break and just enjoy the music. No regrets.

Proac is a great middle ground, but the way; they are more linear and revealing than Spendor, maybe halfway to Thiel, but they are naturally musical. Not as efficient as most Spendors but not as demanding as Thiel. I owned Proac 2.5's and loved them.

Art