The Rapid Rise (& Fall) of the CD

A few days ago, one of my favorite YouTube channels did a video on the CD. This channel (Asianometry) always does an incredible job telling the story of different technologies, technical industries and/or products.

I think most of you will find the 25 minute video to be very interesting.

Asianometry - The rapid start (& end) of the CD

mwinkc

Used to purchase cd's on weekly, nearly daily basis, then I found streaming. Continued to purchase cd's much less frequently, and then began to notice the online sellers I frequented inventory getting smaller and smaller, now they're gone.

I understand the continuing interest in vinyl, I have vinyl setup which I continue to use. Don't understand continued interest in cd's, art work not close to vinyl, sound quality nothing unique, I've found streaming superior, vinyl retains it's unique sound qualities. CD drives disposable, I've lost too many to ever go back. Streaming vs. cd, streaming wins on so many counts.

Having around 1500 CD’s, I still have a CDT on both of my systems although I do use the streamer to listen to new music.

baylinor sums it up perfectly. It's really about the music; yes we have our favorites but why limit one's self because of the playback medium?

Cranky old men talking past one another on a forum about the death and revival of physical media is quite entertaining to read. As audiophiles, we're stuck on the idea that people purchasing physical media is heavily weighted by a desire for good sound quality. Nothing could be further from the truth. Streaming is viewed as personalized radio listening for 95% of the listening consumers, SQ has nothing to do with it but convenience does. Those who buy the physical formats/digital downloads do so because they collect music first and foremost and for a variety of reasons - nostalgia, sound quality, resale, etc. 

I work with a lot of young people every day. Everyone in my office is under 45 with the exception of myself. Those who do buy vinyl buy it because they like the sound of vinyl (cracks, pops, hiss) and are most likely listening to that vinyl on $300 wireless TT setup with Bluetooth speakers. Gasp! 

Using the anecdotal evidence of who attends hi-fi shows that vinyl is predominately the purview of Boomers and middle-aged Gen-Xers  because that's who attends the shows is not proof of anything. The hi-fi shows are attracting that demographic because that's the demographic with the disposable income to drop on hi-end components regardless of media format. The average Millennial and Gen-Z looking to up their game will be looking at modest mid-fi upgrades so maybe, they're willing to drop $1500 on an integrated with some wireless speakers.

But I digress. I honestly don't care what format people use to listen to their music. For some of my younger coworkers who are really into music, I've been suggesting that, if they're looking to upgrade their listening experience, even if it's Spotify, perhaps start with their headphones/earbuds first. If they're strictly streamers, buying an upgraded external DAC and headphone amp for their laptop is a step in the right direction.

@mahler123

"I had written before about my nephew, otherwise a fairly intelligent guy, buying an lp and then being shocked to learn he couldn’t play it in a computer disc drive. One of my son’s girlfriend, who truly is an idiot, buys LPs and plays them them on some box of a contraption that includes a turn table, speakers, usb port and Bluetooth transmitter. It retails for $50 and she then raves about the sound of her $40 Barnes and Noble vinyls."

LOL! Thanks mahler123, made my day ;)