The Psychology of Constant (Equipment) Change

Anybody have an answer?

I have a decent selection of preamps, amps, integrateds and speakers to choose from and I find myself swapping out gear constantly.  And it's not because anything sounds bad.  Quite contrary, really.

After most swapping sessions, I'm generally really satisfied and quite enjoy the sound quality.  But within a few weeks I'm swapping stuff out again.

What would be the diagnosis for my condition?

128x128audiodwebe

I'm not sure the OP is not satisfied, it seems he just likes change, very different...

Most of us dont like change for the change if we are not reviewer or professional sellers...

We are here to improve for the best what we own...

We are here to learn about acoustics and controls of electrical and mechanical parameters (tweaks and method and devices )

Obsessive compulsive disorder is not fun...

Purchasing race may be  fun for sometime , but is not a useful hobby for those like me who want MUSICAL best possible acoustic experience for our budget limits...

Buying one piece after the other compared to the creativity implied in installing a system in a room , is like masturbation compared to making love with a loved one...

We listen music not the gear once a system/room is created ... It is my hobby...

I’m not sure the OP is not satisfied, it seems he just likes change, very different...

I am unqualified to render a diagnosis. However, I respectfully suggest asking yourself 2 questions. First, are you having FUN with the swapping of equipment and accessories? Second, do you feel you are NEGLECTING family, friend, financial, or other priorities when you spend time your audio swapping? If you are having fun and feel other important aspects of your life are balanced, I suspect you are simply a music appreciation hobbyist. God bless!

I think many here do like change for the sake of change...and it’s often for Different, not better or worse...doesn’t look anything like OCD...my main system changes little and slowly, but enjoy mixing up my secondary systems...

If they were no acoustical way to improve the design of speakers and the room design and also the relation between speakers designs and the room, if there exist no concepts no parameters controls and no means to optimize acoustically a room/system ; then perhaps juggling at random with gear pieces purchase will be the only possible fun...

On the contrary juggling randomly with pieces of gear guided only by the price tag drive most people to frustration, boredom or obsession about "perfection" with a bit of fun and surprize in between each "upgrade" ...We must know why and how and with what we will upgrade BEFORE upgrading if we are in a rational optimization process... If we juggle with new pieces of gear to break boredom we dont need to know anything because we believe in a self deceptive way THIS NEW piece of gear will be the solution. We are not even wrong here ...😁

Optimization process for ONE chosen and selected system using basic knowledge is not and cannot be a race toward "perfection" which is a self deceptive acquired bias conditioned by audio marketing ...

It is more fun to be creative building a house than juggling with bricks... it is also more useful because even if we change the bricks material composition and design we had learn architecture... Juggling is fun for sure but it is beside the point...