The new Coda S5.5 amplifier: It's a "Petite Beast"!

I have in-house the New Coda Technologies S5.5 amplifier for review for Stereo Times website. It will be awhile before I write the review. However, I'm so impressed by the performance of this petite amplifier, it only weights 45 pounds, that I wanted to give a heads up to you GON members if you are in the market for a balanced pure class A amplifier, delivers 50 watts @ 8 Ohms, and can drop 100 Amperes of current on a peak!

The world class build quality of Coda amplifiers is on display with the S5.5, along with the most beautiful purity of tonality, precise sound-staging, complete liquidity offered by pure class A design, and what might be the best top end regarding details, decays, and a natural shimmering without brightness or any edge at all.

The S5.5 uses extremely wide bandwidth output transistors instead of the usual TO3 devices used in most transistor designs. I own the Coda #16, which is great, but the midrange/high end is taken to another level of musical enjoyment with the S5.5. The S5.5 has a sense of speed/aliveness that is exciting to listen to that you experience in live music. The amp is dynamic as hell, has driven with ease any speaker I have tried it with, hence my nickname of the "Petite Beast". Remember, 50 watts pure class A, can drop 100 amperes of current and only weights 45 pounds.

Teajay (Terry London)

johnah5

@aolmrd1241 

Thank you Mark! Yes agree and I should have made that clear. The S5.5 is still giving Class A into 4 ohm and likely lower impedances too but at power below 50 watts. Even 40wpc Class A power is excellent though because that should suffice for most speakers unless the speaker is really tough to drive.

I was looking for an integrated and bought my CSiB in 2023 and really like it. I know the S5.5 would sound better but they each have their pluses.  The CSiB is V-1 so the first 18wpc into 8 ohm is  Class A. It is 150wpc 8 ohm/300wpc 4ohm/600wpc 2ohm all AB. I still get some Class A at 4 ohm but maybe 9wpc or less which is good enough for an 8 ohm Forte 3 speaker. It drives LRS+ superbly but is all AB and the high current is key.  If I feel I need or want another amp though, the S5.5 is definitely my number one choice! Teajay and this thread are very convincing! I just hope Coda doesn't run out of those magic transistors.  

@jetter 

Thanks for your kind words. I have been into audio for 50+ years and am still an amateur. I know just enough to be dangerous. I am certain any electronic engineer in the group can pick this apart; however, I think it gets the general idea across. And again, it's not worth a hill of beans. The sound is what counts. So here is additional clarification jetter. At least I hope it is clarification. 

You are partially correct, but as Aolmrd commented, the Class A S5.5 amp does produce Class A audio at impedances actually below and above 8 ohms but with different power ratings, typically below the AB power ratings especially for lower impedances such as 4 ohm and lower. The following example is strictly  for illustration only; the actual WPC values stated are not to be taken as fact but for illustrative purpose only. This shows why, whether the amp is called AB or A, that it can exhibit both classes depending on its electronic architecture, driver impedances, and current potential. This illustration is for the S5.5. 

1) Class A, 8 ohms, up to 50 WPC;  above 50wpc into 8 ohms is AB; For lower impedances above 50 WPC --->Class AB, 4ohms up to 100WPC AB,  2ohms up to 200wpc AB. 

2) Class A, 4 ohms, up to 40wpc; above 40wpc into 4 ohms is AB

3) Class A, 2 ohms, up to 15wpc; above 15 WPC into 2ohms is AB

S5.5 is called a Class A amp based on 50wpc Class A into 8 ohms but you can see it's more complex than that. However, a 50WPC Class A amp hints of being a great sounder! Terry London clearly pointed out the S5.5 does more than hint, it shouts. Terry led the AGON band and all the musicians in the band were precisely in tune!

S5.5 is a winner! In any Class!

I can appreciate the discussions on the class A versus class B, but this amp sounds incredible whatever it is providing and in what class. It seems to me that the 100 amp peak power is the real beauty of this amp, along with the rare transistors

So far I've driven: Clayton Shaw Caladans (4 ohm 93db), Buchardt Audio S400 MKIIs (4 ohm 87db), Thiel CS 2.3s (4 phm 87db and not easy to drive), and old school Infinity RS Kappa 7s (4 ohm 88 db). All beautifully, and without strain

Hey vthokie83,

I totally agree with your statement, "all beautifully, and with out strain". I have now tried the S5.5 with over seven different types of speakers and each was driven splendidly at all volume levels. This amplifier lives up to its nickname the "Petite Beast" regarding its current loading and beautiful reproduction of music in a small package.

Teajay (Terry London)