The new Coda S5.5 amplifier: It's a "Petite Beast"!

I have in-house the New Coda Technologies S5.5 amplifier for review for Stereo Times website. It will be awhile before I write the review. However, I'm so impressed by the performance of this petite amplifier, it only weights 45 pounds, that I wanted to give a heads up to you GON members if you are in the market for a balanced pure class A amplifier, delivers 50 watts @ 8 Ohms, and can drop 100 Amperes of current on a peak!

The world class build quality of Coda amplifiers is on display with the S5.5, along with the most beautiful purity of tonality, precise sound-staging, complete liquidity offered by pure class A design, and what might be the best top end regarding details, decays, and a natural shimmering without brightness or any edge at all.

The S5.5 uses extremely wide bandwidth output transistors instead of the usual TO3 devices used in most transistor designs. I own the Coda #16, which is great, but the midrange/high end is taken to another level of musical enjoyment with the S5.5. The S5.5 has a sense of speed/aliveness that is exciting to listen to that you experience in live music. The amp is dynamic as hell, has driven with ease any speaker I have tried it with, hence my nickname of the "Petite Beast". Remember, 50 watts pure class A, can drop 100 amperes of current and only weights 45 pounds.

Teajay (Terry London)

johnah5

Have you compared the #16 to the S5.5? From what Terry is saying…the S5.5 is a step up in quality of sound all the way around.

I have not heard the S5.5, but have owned the #8, #16, and 07x preamp. I have also discussed the S5.5 with Doug at CODA about the appropriateness of using the S5.5 with either my Yamaha NS5000 or Magnepan LRS+ speaker. After I gave him feedback on what other amps sounded good with these speakers, he said not to get the S5.5. I am going to go with Doug's opinion on the CODA gear. He suggested the new SYSTEM 150 amp coming out next month for my needs (keeping the #16).  This will be their new flagship. Things went a little pear-shaped for me with regards to affordability last week so that new CODA amp is on hold until the long term.

The S5.5 sounds ideal for speakers like my friend's crossover less prototype that can be driven by even 5 watts. For my current speakers the S5.5 is a downgrade from the #16. The S5.5 seems great for the new headphones I am getting.

I was able to figure out how to drum up the money for the headphones without selling the #16. I will have to sacrifice my fav speaker cable, Audience FrontRow (buy it again later). Amongst a few other items. Unfortunately, I have expensive tastes and low income.

Just like yyzsantabarbara I have reviewed and owned the Coda # 8, # 16, and the 07x preamplifier. All terrific pieces at their price points. Unless you need the extra watts /current of the #16 to drive either very inefficient speakers or listen at insane dB levels the S5.5 will be plenty of amplifier for your system.

Their is no doubt in my mind that regarding the mid-range and high frequency range that, as of right now, the S5.5 has more pristine tonality, refinement in the micro-details, and one of the most beautiful presentations of the top end compared to the other Coda amps.. I would not call it "night and day" in its difference in these areas compared to the #16, but you can clearly hear it. Until, the System 150 amp ( which is a two chassis design and will retail for around $25,000) is released I believe the S5.5 is the most musical of all the Coda amplifiers and the least expensive! The only caveat is your speakers are not "pigs" to drive. So far I have tried the S5.5 with five very different speakers that it drove effortlessly and its sonic virtues shined through each time.

Teajay

yyzsantabarbara

Thanks for the reply. If your speakers need the power then the #16 is a great way to go...

Mark

How does the 5.5 treat the presence and “weight” of instruments in front of you?With certain amps, usually ones that are a bit forward in presentation, you can almost feel the palpable weight of the instruments in the room with you. It’s a combination of not just focus and size of images,  but also I suspect of  dynamics and frequency balance. How does the 5.5 compare in this regard?