The New Amati G5 or Joseph Audio Pearl Graphene

I’ve owned a bunch of Sonus Faber Speakers and I just love their sound. I’ve had a chance to listen to the Joseph Audio Pearl Graphene and met Jeff Joseph at the Tampa Audio Show earlier this year. The Pearl Graphene’s sound very accurate, clean, fast and detailed. Maybe a little clinical…? I tend to the more emotional organic voice of the new Amati’s.

What do you guys think of the the Pearl Graphene…? 

Nice choice to have indeed…!

128x128jomonhifi

@prof

The Joseph speakers have an incredible clarity give a nice insciveness to the higher frequencies. However, as you move up from the lower mids, the sound does lose a bit more body, so things like upper female voices, then wood blocks, drum cymbals, will tend to be rendered thinner and dynamically a bit laid back.

In general I agree with your assessment, but as usual, caveats abound. I think some of the shortcomings you mention have to do with amplification. Earlier I was using a tube amp with my Perspective2 speakers and did notice some thinness in the mids. But once I moved to a more powerful amp (Aavik U-280), this problem ceased to exist. The sound I get now is full and tonally rich across all frequency ranges.

Also, after hearing the JA Pearls twice -- the second time was a very long session, the differences between Perspectives and Pearls are quite significant in my opinion. So yes, it retains the strengths of the Perspectives, but boy does it add scale, heft, and a sense of realism that is breathtaking. It just pressurizes the room in a way that Perspectives simply cannot. The Pearls are one of the best speakers I’ve heard cost no object.

Good contribution!

I've heard the Perspectives a few times on giant SimAudio monoblocks, so plenty of power.  And I did notice a bit more solidity to the sound.   Less body in terms of richness and roundness vs tubes, but more focused and a sense of solidity.

It still didn't give the Perspectives the type of richness and body in the upper frequencies as, say, the wider baffle speakers like the Devore O series.  But it did help somewhat.

The Joseph speakers are touted as tube friendly, at least in terms of impedance, but they seem to appreciate power too.

My experience with Mac/SF is totally opposite to two opinions posted here. I drive my Serafinos with Devialet 440 Pro and they sounded awesome. Moved on to Mac 611 monoblocks and C2700 pre, and they sounded significantly better. Upgraded C2700 to C12000 and Serafinos sound magical. Not sure what electronics from Mac was used when auditioning for the two members here, but I would not characterize my setup as lacking detail whatsoever. To me the combo of Mac/SF is a match made in heaven.