The Horror

After getting  back home from “The Show” in Costa Mesa, California this past weekend, I walked over to my stereo system and turned it on. And silently wept. I had held out a feint hope that my cross-over modified 1.7i Maggies and mighty Parasound A21+, fed from a Prima Luna 300 tube preamplifier could somehow manage a slight shimmer of resemblance to the robust setups I witnessed at the SHOW. Not—- on— your —-life. Not even close. I slumped into my over-stuffed couch and stared long and hard at the thing I created: an anemic concoction of false hopes and wishful thinking. The horror, the truth: entry into serious audiophile listening begins with purchase of speakers that cost the price of the car I had to finance for 4 years, closely followed with the added expense of beefy sophisticated electronics and wiring, not a gaggle of cheap wanna-be plastic and tweeks. I so wanted to belong, but that’s turned out to be just a fever dream I’ve got to wake up from. Maybe one day, if ever I have the nerve to rob a bank, find Jimmy Hoffa, or survive a head-on collision from a sleepy Amazon driver, I might make it. Maybe. Feel free to play the violin with two fingers.

128x128audiodidact

I'm not one to generally champion room treatments as the panacea of audio appreciation, but about a year ago I put these little things up in the corners and it has truly made a difference in just how much more clear the sound is. Don't know how they work, but they work.

@audiodidact 

I couldn’t disagree with your premise more. You don’t mention anything about room treatments so I’m guessing that your room has more influence on your sound than your system. Maggies can be rather low bass shy so you may want to consider adding a decent sub like a Rythmik or SVS along with an active crossover. There are many ways to get a great sounding system without getting crazy expensive.

Old guy advice: Spend your money going to live performances. LA Phil, Hollywood Bowl. Your local dive bar that has musicians play. I'm sure your system is better than you think but at the end of the day, no matter how much you spend it is a "representation" of the actual music. Sometimes we think it is better than real because we can tailor it to what we like. I think I'll leave that up to Dudamel, he knows what he is doing.

@jji666 I agree.  I began my higher end audio system at 13 with a Sony TC366 tape recorder.  Through the years, I accumulated and replaced equipment without regard to room acoustics until my late 30s.  Then I decided to concentrate on at least making the listening room amenable to my speakers.  I then constructed a listening room at 37 using isolation first and then vibration control (big dedicated room 25X23X11.5 w/8X6 rear room closet equipment area.  At 63, I moved and spent $150K on a custom listening room using some concepts by J.Gordon Holt. I was so successful that my previous speaker's, though inadequate in a smaller room, still was quite acceptable for narrow listening.  I replaced my listening room speakers with a pair of Legacy Signature IIIs I purchased in 2003 for $1600.  They sounded excellent for all genres of music with lower powered tube amps and a nice tube pre-amp.  Buying quality older functioning equipment can render a smaller budget GREAT returns.  I was last using a Topping D70s DAC until I could afford my end game system (that is expensive). 

The reason for my dissatisfaction but still enjoying the music produced by my equipment is that I am both a part time singer, recording engineer and have a very good ear for sound.  I have been and am two composer's recorded music archivist.  Now, my audio system rivals live music, often in superior sound.  I still attend many live acoustic music performances as the live event can be exhilarating.  

I have heard many Maggie ribbon speakers.  They tend to sound best with smaller, less complex and dynamic music with a demand for high power amps.   There are alternative ribbon and planar speakers very superior but at a high cost such as Alysvox and Clarisys.  So, if you want a better sound, first look at your listening environment/speaker set-up, then to find matching equipment.  Cabling is an issue with much equipment benefitting from minimally expensive Blue Jeans/Belden cable.  First get the room and equipment coordinated, then ancillary equipment. 

There have been a couple of references to Vandersteens being at T.H.E. Show this year but there were none on display. Maybe you are confusing them for another brand. I know Alma had the Boenicke in one room and YG Acoustics in the room next door.