The Horror

After getting  back home from “The Show” in Costa Mesa, California this past weekend, I walked over to my stereo system and turned it on. And silently wept. I had held out a feint hope that my cross-over modified 1.7i Maggies and mighty Parasound A21+, fed from a Prima Luna 300 tube preamplifier could somehow manage a slight shimmer of resemblance to the robust setups I witnessed at the SHOW. Not—- on— your —-life. Not even close. I slumped into my over-stuffed couch and stared long and hard at the thing I created: an anemic concoction of false hopes and wishful thinking. The horror, the truth: entry into serious audiophile listening begins with purchase of speakers that cost the price of the car I had to finance for 4 years, closely followed with the added expense of beefy sophisticated electronics and wiring, not a gaggle of cheap wanna-be plastic and tweeks. I so wanted to belong, but that’s turned out to be just a fever dream I’ve got to wake up from. Maybe one day, if ever I have the nerve to rob a bank, find Jimmy Hoffa, or survive a head-on collision from a sleepy Amazon driver, I might make it. Maybe. Feel free to play the violin with two fingers.

128x128audiodidact

@audiodidact perhaps you might consider sending these photos to GIK and get their opinion. Everything we post is pure guesswork and most likely a shot in the dark, which regrettably would be a continuation of your current strategy.

From the photos, it seems as if you have alot of reflective surfaces with alot of irregular angles. I’m not sure, even if treated, whether Maggies would ever perform at their best. Repeat: buy Jim Smith’s book, get some visual advice from GIK but from the photos, youve got a number of challenges ahead. You have a great deal of gear and TV between the speakers, which are inset within an alcove, a fireplace to the left, some funky drywall angles, no symmetry, etc.

You’ve committed the same sins we all have at one time or another. Early on, I had stacks of gear purchased without a strategy, with no idea whether there is system synergy but hey, an anonymous reviwer gave it high marks in his/her room with his/her gear. Have you made a list of your audio priorities? Calculate your budget (including the resale value of everything you’ve got) and start from there. In order of importance, treat the space acoustically, then choose speakers to work with the room, then the proper gear to drive them.

Today, rather than the stacks of gear and a mosh pit of cables everywhere, mismatched due to a lack of a proper plan, I now have a pair of speakers, an integrated amp and a dac and I’ve never enjoyed better sound in my home. I decided I would rather own one exceptional item than three or more average items. If you have a plan and a strategy to reach the goal, you will likely find that you will increase performance by subtracting variables and from the photos, you have an opportunity to achieve addition by subtraction.

You should throw a quilt or blanket over the TV — it won’t solve your problem but may provide a meaningful improvement.

Jim Smith offers StraightTalk live support sessions via phone or Zoom. I’d suggest scheduling an hour session with him. Provide him with your photos. I’ll bet he can improve your sound and you won’t need to spend a lot of money.

Do the Jim Smith thing!!!!!   You have a big investment and not getting anywhere near what you should out of it.

@ghasley ,  thanks for having a look and the suggestions. You’re right, there’s been no plan, just swapping stuff-in/out and adding-in,  based on pure feel or recommendations.  Sitting down to create a real plan is the right way to start a long-term project, to get it right.  But it will take time. Remind again, please, GIY?

@soix, Yes, the TV is the real “horror”  or error of this space.  But, it’s shared with the family and there’s no changing that any time soon.  However, you’re right, a blanket or something would be better than nothing.  I’ve mentally sketched a TV sized light wood piece covered in diffusion material with rubber hooks that could help, instead of hurt the reflections. I could leave it hung on the TV until viewing time (we don’t watch much during the week, and only a couple of hours on the weekend).  Shouldn’t be that hard to make.  Thanks!

@tvad, I’ll definitely follow-up on that suggestion.  Thanks!