The Highest - Suprema

I had a chance to listen extensively (length of time, plus able to request familiar material) to the ’end game’ configuration (for me, and which will NEVER happen not even close for obvious (figure 1 3/4 Mio reasons). On ALL levels/chriteria (sound, detail, staging, etc). I never thought that there is so much ’more’ beyond what I had previously considered the highest level of listening. A truly eye opening experience:

Room:

25x25 (not sure about height, say 15 ft). Treated.

Equipment:

Speakers: Sonus faber Suprema

Amplifiers:

Burmester 159s on the Suprema subs

Burmester 218s on the Suprema towers

Preamp: D’Agostino Relentless Pre

Source: dCS Vivaldi APEX stack (DAC, upsampler, clock)

Cables: Transparent Magnum Opus to the towers; Transparent XL to the subs / all other interconnects at the XL or Magnum Opus level

Racking: HRS VXR

The icing on the cake was a long conversation/discussion with Livio Cucuzza, the creator of the Suprema (in my eys). Sonus faber Suprema setup

kraftwerkturbo

@curiousjim : they pointed out the obvious to us (they ARE a McIntosh store), but consciously decided on the Burmaster.

@jbthurston : I actually LIKED that (smooth, relaxed, ’easy’), and pointed it out to Livio during our conversation, and he confirmed that it very well fits the overall (and traditional) Sonu faber sound philosophy. I later went back and forth between the Stradivari and the Suprema room. Could be the music material, but came away with the Stradivari setup sounding to ’harsh’ on my ears (in this comparison, not sure how they would compare to others speakers/brands in side by side comparison). The Stradivari also had a much different sound stage (which Livio explained by pointing out the WIDE front of Stradivari and their decision/setup to NOT use the rear facing tweeter/midrange after long listening seesion for the Ann Arbor setup.

I almost went to the same show but got tied up with the kiddos. I have shopped with them before when I was interested in Wilsons. 

I wonder if the subs were highpassed. I know there is a good bit of flexibility in how they can be setup. Good subs, well integrated really can improve the system. 

I have gotten more and more jaded regarding “super” systems over the years but would have liked to hear this setup. I have always leaned toward Wilson over Sonus Faber when I have done direct comparisons. The wilson always seem more dynamic in the bass. Interesting that this big system is still described as “smooth”. I wonder if there is a bit of dip in the upper mids. 

as awesome as a couple listening sessions for me were, 1 from the big Wilson's in a large room at axpona and another at aa local shop with the Dali Epikore's I know I don't have the funds or experience to create the space conducive for such a quality room. I really believe most speakers at the $30k level are good enough with someone able to create the space and components to tune them.