The Exogal saga continued....

As the owner of the Comet Plus/Ion combo, I have been a vocal critic of Exogal for fumbling the ball on the absence of applications needed to run them. They made the Comet without an illuminated window and reading it is difficult, and the remote, by their own admission, is inadequate. So the apps were indispensable, period. They have claimed for months that a new, improved remote "module" was in the making and about to be released immanently. I actually tried out a prototype they sent me and it wasn't very good. As time passed I tried to communicate with them via their website (on which they advertise a streamer line that they don't make!) and by phone, and was ignored.

So I chased down their sales manager here on Audiogon and he put me in touch with the CEO. The CEO admitted there was a problem and offered a range of excuses--a knee operation, a major internet hacking of their site, the pandemic, poor Chinese-sourced parts, an inability to get parts, etc. [In retrospect I am surprised that he didn't claim the same aliens who started the forest fires in California had attacked Minnesota] I said that I had the Ion packed up in a box as it was unusable and requested a remote for the Comet which he said was ready and would be shipped. He further stated that a new product line was in the making and that when it was released those who had the misfortune to purchase the Comet/Ion could trade those units in for "generous" credit toward the new line. Very well, I have spend thousands of dollars on this stuff so how long do I have to sit on it until I can change it out? There is no timetable for the new offerings--possibly by the end of the year, possibly not. Basically I got the old "trust me, I'm working on it" speech that they give everyone.

Two weeks went by--no remote. At that point I demanded a refund for the Comet and Ion which of course the CEO denied. He claimed he didn't send the remote because he assumed that I had packed both the Comet and Ion away until the unspecified time that he would so generously exchange them for his new products! He said he would send the remote immediately.

Yet another week has gone by--no remote. So I pass all this on to the court of public opinion. But it is ironic that the CEO of Exogal, in one of his own public postings right here on Exogal wrote: 
 "
Too many audio companies announce a product, start selling it, and then frustrate the paying customer with BS excuses. Meanwhile, they've got your money." That sounds remarkably like the situation I find myself in. 
128x128rtorchia
Well it all worked out for the better. I sold off the outmoded and obsolete Exogal at a loss but replaced it with a Purifi based amp and an RME DAC. The sound is hugely improved for one third the price. Hugely. And I have the supreme luxury of being able to read the display. I doubt we will see any other Exogal products.
All you Exogal fans ought to run out and order their new T-Shirt, a review of which is forthcoming on Dagogo. So much for new products.
I've been meaning to post about my experience with the Exogal products and company. Jeff H has gone above and beyond the call of duty, considering my Comet was bought used: he replaced a broken aftermarket cable for me for free, and payed for return shipping when I sent the Comet in for a software update so I could use it with the Ion.
I was using the software app on my iPhone until a recent software update nixed that option. Now I'm just using the original remote, which works just fine for me. No, I can't see the display window, but I'd only need it to adjust volume, which I do by ear anyway, so I haven't yet decided whether to purchase the Bluetooth remote.
Sound-wise, this duo punches way above its weight class. I have much bigger and heavier and more expensive, and really good sounding, electronics, consisting of an Audionet preamp / DAC and Hegel H30 amplifier---but I've been looking to find  smaller, lighter and less heat producing alternatives for future days when I can no longer physically lift the equipment (the H30 is 100 lbs.). Plus it would be nice to reclaim some floor space.
I've tried quite a few pieces, including NCore1200, ICE Edge, Devialet, etc. (used with PS Audio BHK pre). I didn't find any of these lighter components competitive with the Hegel, until recently hooking up the Exogals. These sound really, really good, only lacking a touch of body and heft in comparison. The Exogal combo is extremely detailed and natural sounding---really amazing for the size and price. More time and listening will tell whether I'm prepared to give up my other separates for these, but they sure come closer than I would have thought, as I had almost given up on the idea that small components could compete... Highly recommended.
The new Topping DAC kills the Comet at a third the price and you get a quality headphone amp included. Couple that with any of a number of Purifi Class D amps and you will be shocked at the quality of sound. Exogal fans enjoy paying top dollar for DACs without readable screens and volume knobs but given those parameters ought to invest in a Schiit Modius—$200. Exogal was nice stuff in 2016 but the market has come a long way and I am curious to see how they plan to compete. People are too smart now to pay 7k for a pretty aluminum box. This is just a Wadia rerun.
Declaration of the superiority of any given combo of Dac and amp versus any other combo apart from direct comparison is essentially worthless, mere conjecture or posturing. The entire community needs to learn harnessing their unsubstantiated declarations.