the big one: how do you choose speakers? By what features, data?

I am curious how the experts choose speakers when upgrading? What are the priorities, what would make you stretch your budget?

Based on e.g....

• brand/company’s reputation
  • price
  • sensitivity
  • crossover frequency
  • compatibility with existing amp, etc.?

I don’t have buyer’s remorse for my last pair but I sure made some stupid choices until I got there, that I could have avoided if I had known about this forum sooner.

grislybutter

IMO many audio buyers allocate an excessive amount of money towards loudspeakers neglecting electronics/source/cables and room treatment. The outdated theory of spending 50%(total system cost) on speakers was created by the industry to keep one upgrading(unhappy) electronics and source components. 

Nobody asked, but a famous reviewer Jay's Iyagi (from Canada) finally took notice of the OGY. I say this because Closer Acoustics is an obscure boutique brand in Poland. He must have read my comments or something. There's no way he would have heard of the OGY otherwise. Yeah, Jay is not the most trustworthy reviewer out there, but I enjoy the validation nonetheless:

Review here

I agree with this review wholeheartedly. To paraphrase: The bass is light but very fast and clear. You should use a sub. Midrange and Treble are flawless, impressive regardless of price. Imaging/soundstage are a great deal better than most 2-way bookshelf speakers.  

I'm just worried that I'll have to bite the bullet and finally buy a decent tube amplifier to get the most out of these speakers. 

I'll confess that it's a bit courageous to order these speakers blind and deal with FedEx international shipping. 

I´m a motorcycle enthusiast that used to race / ride Enduro. When you buy a motorcycle for that use, you get pretty much 90% of what you need.  Set the thing according to your riding skill level / preferences and off you go !.

Going back to audio.  Not the same game, when you get bit by the music bug and get into this, you just paid the admission ticket for a journey!!! As several persons have mentioned, this  is a long, patience frustrating, economic stressing,disappointment causing experience that gives you some golden nuggets in the process to keep you hooked.

You hear magic at a friend´s or dealer place and you get those speakers home and  the oops start !

This is a personnal perception activity so it will  depend on the reproduction chain you use to listen. Room, speakers, power, source cables, you name it  they matter.

Good luck with your own musical journey... Keep a sane a approach and do  not take it too seriously, enjoy. You are not alone. Cheers.

For me, I have purchased my speakers based on reputation and read as many reviews about a speaker I am interested in. i rarely by new, so if the speaker has generated a lot of interest, easy to sale if I don’t like it. Since my audio system is in a small room, I am limited to bookshelf speakers. I have serval speakers and amps. The only mistake I made was to purchase a pair of Quad z2 or 1. Worst speaker I ever heard for my ears. My hits, Kef LS50 metas, Dynaudio special 40’s, Buchardt 400 special edition,Goldenear brx, Dali menuets se, NHT c3. All great speakers with different presentations. I don’t know if this is the best way to buy speakers, but it has worked for me.