The Allure of Vintage Audio Gear

Vintage audio gear holds a unique charm, offering rich sound and timeless design that many modern components can't quite replicate. Brands like Marantz, McIntosh, and JBL are still revered for their warm, detailed sound, especially in tube amps and classic speakers. While modern technology offers improved reliability and lower distortion, vintage gear brings a sense of nostalgia and character that many audiophiles crave.

Do you prefer the warmth of vintage, or do you lean toward modern hi-fi innovations? How would you mix vintage with modern in your setup?

128x128iammessiach

I still happily have an ARC SP9mk2 with a pair of Acoustat Model X’s. I have updated some parts on the amps and they sound better than new.

I went through that phase about 10 years ago. Since then I have given most of it to my kids. What I haven’t given away is stacked in a closet. On top of the stack is a barely used Oppo 105, so go figure. The one category that I do cherish is NOS tubes. I do enjoy walking into my sons house and seeing the blue glow of his Marantz receiver and his JBL’s. But I must say it’s no match for modern gear. Cheers , Mike 

Late 70's I had a nice Phase Linear stack. Looked impressive and sounded better when drinking.  Bought a Sansui 9090 and that changed everything.  Sold the stack and bought all Pioneer separates cassette,  r to r, tt, 4 massive Sansui 7500 speakers.  Still have it all. 

This is a false dichotomy. "Vintage" gear just means whatever gear the beholder could not afford as a teenager. As a result, anything made from the 60s to the 90s can be considered vintage by someone alive today.

A better question would be, what does a certain dollar amount buys you in today’s market? Case in point: rn TMR offers a pair of Krell 600 monoblocks for something like $6500. I think anyone would be hard pressed to buy equivalent new amps for twice that amount, because there simply aren’t any out there unless a person is willing to spend a small fortune.

Given a fixed budget, pre-owned gear will almost always deliver a significantly higher level of build and sound quality than new gear. Just my opinion.

+1 Harmon Kardan 730, my receiver for 40 years.

Never had the bug to upgrade until it died. Now I split the duty between a Cayin tube receiver and Accuphase SS preamp and Class A amp.