Technics SL1000 MK3 (SP10 MK3) performance/value VS modern turntables?

I have a Technics SL1000 MK3 in beautiful condition and in it's lifetime has seen very little use.
I am ready to send it off for complete electronics restoration/upgrade, upgrade the speed control processor module and have the Krebs mods done.  Will cost about $2500.00 to have all this done.

I was wondering how this would compare to what is out there for modern turntables after all the work is done? 
Or, would I be better off selling it, and adding what I was going to spend for the upgrades to a new turntable?
I believe these should sell in untouched condition for at least $5K?  So that would put me in the $7.5K range for a modern table?

For tonearms, I already have:
New, unmounted Moerch DP8
Fidelity Research FR64S, in beautiful condition that I sent off to Ikeda/Japan and they re-wired (better silver wiring, I still have original wires) and completely tore it down and rebuilt/re-lubed.... it's just like a new FR64S.

I think this table would be hard to beat at the $7500.00 price point, but would appreciate others opinion.

Rick

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xrich121

Showing 3 responses by richardkrebs

@au_lait

Good idea, I wish I had thought of pre and post recording. Unfortunately this hasn't been done. 

cheers. 

"…..I may wait on the Krebs for now"
congratulations Dover, you achieved your objective.

When I released my upgrade to the audio community, I did it because I was excited by the prospect of sharing with fellow SP10 owners what could be realized when the MECHANICAL architecture of the motor assembly was optimised. I wrestled with the SP10 MK3 sound for 15 years. chipping away at its, to me, obvious problems. And I felt that I had largely cured them.
What I did not expect was the vitriol and sheer nastiness in these fora over the years since its release, from people who seem to have a personal vendetta. 
Very early on, I built a substantial plinth (the black triangle TT shown on my site) using only the motor core chassis.  I could hear the improvements that this brought but the motor issues were now more apparent, hence my quest.
Exceptional engineering in plinths and electrical work is being done on these TTs It is heartening to see these people and companies put in the extreme effort and skill for the SP line, bringing their product to the market. That said, their work does not address the mechanical  problems in the heart of the TT....the motor itself. This should be self evident 

Yep, there are no measurements, but you would have to be deaf to not hear what it does. Just like there are no measurements when someone replaces the support shelf under a preamp from one material to another, we can hear the difference None of you say, show me the measurements. There are numerous companies selling aftermarket bearings, supports and other bits and pieces for legacy TTs. Most provide no "measurements" supporting the efficacy of their products. 

As to the cautionary notes on my site.
Gentlemen. these TTs are 40 plus years old, bad things can happen which cannot be sorted because parts are no longer available. I make no apology for warning about this risk, which applies to any type of work done by anyone, and prefer to be up front about it. Hey, just owning them is a risk.  The same goes with the irreversible comment. Would you rather I remain silent about this point?

I'm not getting rich selling this, I get a minor percentage of the fee,  it buys me some records now and then. If you can live with a MK3 au naturel, good for you. I find the performance distasteful, regardless of what plinth you surround the motor with or what juice you send into it.

Further, I prefer to pay attention to the comments from discerning listeners like Albert Porter, Lewm, or prestigious companies like Pass Labs and Triplanar who all use my upgrade in their TTs 

I am an infrequent poster here. The nastiness and pettiness of some spoil it for the many who just want to share the joy, fun and sheer beauty of listening to music at home. Giving the few oxygen only makes their flame grow brighter.

OK, I have said what I wanted to say. I will now leave you in peace.

Cheers,

rich121.
Thankyou for clarifying things, appreciated.
 And yes, our hobby should be the total opposite of stressful.

Cheers.