Technics SL1000 MK3 (SP10 MK3) performance/value VS modern turntables?

I have a Technics SL1000 MK3 in beautiful condition and in it's lifetime has seen very little use.
I am ready to send it off for complete electronics restoration/upgrade, upgrade the speed control processor module and have the Krebs mods done.  Will cost about $2500.00 to have all this done.

I was wondering how this would compare to what is out there for modern turntables after all the work is done? 
Or, would I be better off selling it, and adding what I was going to spend for the upgrades to a new turntable?
I believe these should sell in untouched condition for at least $5K?  So that would put me in the $7.5K range for a modern table?

For tonearms, I already have:
New, unmounted Moerch DP8
Fidelity Research FR64S, in beautiful condition that I sent off to Ikeda/Japan and they re-wired (better silver wiring, I still have original wires) and completely tore it down and rebuilt/re-lubed.... it's just like a new FR64S.

I think this table would be hard to beat at the $7500.00 price point, but would appreciate others opinion.

Rick

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xrich121

Showing 6 responses by au_lait

I have very low mileage MK3. JP fully serviced. New chip. No Krebs! FR66s arm. Couldn't be more happy and would def concur with the term "endgame". Don't sell it!
@richardkrebs I’ve been on the fence of getting your upgrade a few times, but have been hesitant because of the irreversibility. Not really fussed about measurements, but, have you or anyone A/B’d a stock vs modded MK3 and recorded? Would be very intersted in hearing recordings if so!
I’m using the TTM Monitor Mat, no complaints and is much better than the stock rubber (in either thickness). I’m curious to hear the difference l, however subtle, between my stainless mat and the Micro Seiki.

I recall seeing the TTM mat in your system pics @albertporter - what was your impression? And have you tried the Micro in comparison?

Thanks!
@albertporter Thanks for that detailed info on the TTM Monitor mat. It’s the best dive heard as well. I have the shinier one, looks like the 2nd iteration, I’m glad I went through the trouble having a friend hustle me one from a local market seller in Moscow, was no small feat! I’m still hunting for the the oil damped clamp though, and have been using the Micro ST-10 for some years. Still want to hear the Micro gunmetal.

My other SP10 MK2A uses the Jeweltone / Nagaoka GL-602 Crystal mat, which is interesting but I haven’t truly compared to anything yet as they’re in different locations and different systems. (This is also discontinued but I found a guy in Czech Republic with some warehoused NOS, if anyone is interested shoot me a DM.)

I have also tried Funk Firm Anchromat and Herbie’s Way Excellent II mat.
Mats come and go, and it’s common for the best of them not to be recognized as such until they are no longer being produced, whereupon they become”rare” and the expensive. We audiophiles are a crazy bunch.

Exactly haha. To be honest though, I've spent most of my life digging for obscure music all over the world, in moldy basements and junk shops, so doing some detective work to find an ultra rare Japanese mat is just exactly the kind of fun challenge that makes me happy. And if it doesn't live up to expectation there is always resale!