Technics SL1000 MK3 (SP10 MK3) performance/value VS modern turntables?

I have a Technics SL1000 MK3 in beautiful condition and in it's lifetime has seen very little use.
I am ready to send it off for complete electronics restoration/upgrade, upgrade the speed control processor module and have the Krebs mods done.  Will cost about $2500.00 to have all this done.

I was wondering how this would compare to what is out there for modern turntables after all the work is done? 
Or, would I be better off selling it, and adding what I was going to spend for the upgrades to a new turntable?
I believe these should sell in untouched condition for at least $5K?  So that would put me in the $7.5K range for a modern table?

For tonearms, I already have:
New, unmounted Moerch DP8
Fidelity Research FR64S, in beautiful condition that I sent off to Ikeda/Japan and they re-wired (better silver wiring, I still have original wires) and completely tore it down and rebuilt/re-lubed.... it's just like a new FR64S.

I think this table would be hard to beat at the $7500.00 price point, but would appreciate others opinion.

Rick

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xrich121

Showing 5 responses by atmasphere

The best mat I ever heard was made by Warren Gehl of ARC (prior to his working with ARC). The last one I saw sold anywhere was $1700.00. They were heavy- about 5 pounds, owing to lead content.
@rich121 I like the Oracle platter pad a lot. One problem you may encounter though is that the Technics spindle really isn't long enough. So you may be only able to use a weight instead of a record clamp with that platter pad. The pad has to be stuck to the patter as well, so the screws securing the platter to the motor might be considered optional.
@dover Sutherland makes a wonderful little device called the Timeline of which I am sure you are familiar.

The SP10MkIII can keep the Timeline's dot on the wall all day long with repeated playing of the LP uncaring of multiple needle drops. Control theory being what it is, the precepts were well understood in the 1980s when the MkIII was designed and Technics had all the expertise needed to do the job right and they did. It is certainly true that computers can now be used as effectively since that is the big thing that has changed in the last 35 years and that is what Technics is now doing in their newer machines.

But their specs are no better, and FWIW this is because the original servo was properly designed and executed, which is also why the MkIII made an excellent platform for LP mastering. 

Unless you can show me that the servo in the older machine is actually hunting or some such, I'm not taking it on anecdote that what you are saying about the older Technics is real. The specs Technics publishes don't seem to agree with you as far as I can make out (but giving you some benefit of the doubt, its also obvious that the actual machines outperform the published specs by a fair degree, so its an unknown as to whether Technics has made any improvement with their new machine).

Now I get that you had a machine but if you are saying you heard something you like better I've no problem with that, but please keep in mind that is a nice anecdote. One variable you did not address is that the stock Technics platter pad, which is supposed to control resonance in the LP itself, does not do that very well. If you did not use the same platter pad on both machines used in a comparison, the results of the comparison are quite suspect!

The one concern I would have in all this (I don't really have a dog in the fight) is that the older machine is subject to the whims of age: electrolytic capacitors can fail, resistor values can drift and corrosion can attach rare semiconductors, compromising them or causing outright failure. But if the refurbished machine is kept in a controlled environment and if replacement semiconductors are around it should be fine.
I think the SP10MkIII is better than the new 10R because it has so much more torque. But a good deal of that was so it could be used for LP mastering and I suspect that was not their goal with the newer version.
@rich121 There is a reason the SP-10 MkIIIs go for so much money used. They are one of the most speed stable turntables ever made. Your turntable is totally worth refurbishing and will be a worthy contender for state of the art if done properly. I wouldn't sell it if it were mine. I would instead equip it with the best platter pad I could get for it and the best tonearm. Great turntable!!