Technics SL 1200 GR

Hi everyone,

I know that a lot of you might think I am crazy but it is what it is.  I heard a Rega Planar 6 play a few days ago and was totally mesmerized with the sound. This will be my first TT and I am the type that prefers to buy the best I can instead of starting small, selling and upgrading. I have to admit, I do enjoy fiddling with upgrades but the idea is to get a future proof turntable and upgrade stuff like cartridges, etc along the way.  

Before you recommend that I get the P6, its simply out of my budget. I could consider the P3 if you believe its better than the SL 1210 GR (not the latest model 2 but the original one). 

Anyway, here are some questions I was hoping you'd be able to help me with:

• What will a good starter Cartridge?
  • Should I go for MM or MC? Is one more complicated to install than the other? prefer something simple as its my first time.  Also, I read stuff like LO and HO.. For what ts worth, I will be using my Marantz PM Ki Ruby's built in phono (I believe it can handle both MM and MC, I could be wrong).
  • Anything else I should keep in mind?  Basic products for maintenance? 

Thanks in advance for your help. I appreciate it!

prashanth14485

Go with the Least Expensive model TT of a High End TT Mfgr. like EAT or Michell. You get a better made TT than the upper end tables of a mfgr. that makes $400 TT's.

@mbmi Ah, interesting point of view. I've always felt that the opposite is true with most things. For example, I'd much rather buy a top of the line spacious Acura instead of an entry level cramped for space Audi or Mercedes or BMW.  This may not be the case with Hifi but I already ordered the Technics.. so not a whole lot I can do.. haha

I can’t believe you were mesmerized by a P6! I had one it was a total meh meh meh I couldn’t wait to trade in for something else.

@pennfootball71 Interesting..  could it have been the acoustics, rest of the chain or something. Coz I really liked how the P6 sounded.

Also, what's a budget value for money phono interconnect? Or is the stock cable good enough?

I think you'll be pleased with that AT cartridge.

Here's a common sort of stylus gauge...

Stylus gauge Amazon

On my SL1200 I use a tracking force of 1.8g for my 540ML.

Technics advises to set the antiskate to the same value as you set the tracking force. That's done using a small dial near the back end of the tonearm.