Teac UD-501 DAC

Sight unseen / unheard I'm buying a used Teac UD-501. Comments or experience with this model, or stand alone-alone DAC (versus built in to Pioneer CD or BluMe) welcome!
128x128jimspov

I was looking at this DAC a couple years ago while I was modding an Emotiva XDA-2. The UD-501 is a really excellently design layout (internally). It would be a very nice platform to upgrade all capacitors, voltage regulators, op amps. Stock, some people really like this. Others say it is somewhat bright/solid-state. It was originally a $900 DAC (if I remember right).

But yeah, based on what it in it internally "stock", I can totally see how the Oppo BDP-105 will blow away this Teac. Whitecamaross is selling his Oppo 105 for $699. I have heard the 105 and it really is an excellent player/DAC for this price range.

The Teac’s appear to be going for $375 to $500. It depends on your budget. The Oppo will also act as a dedicated DAC with Digital COAX or USB inputs. If I had the budget, I would vote for the Oppo. The $300 difference is more than worth it.

Although, the Sonica DAC is also $799 brand new.  Good option if you don't need a player.
Has anyone heard the Sonica ? I've been surprised by the poor/lukewarm reviews...I know we don't believe in reviews...but Oppo usually gets great reviews...
I have the Teac UD-503 DAC. Absolutely love it. I find the ESS chips detailed but tiring. The Teacs use an AKM Veritas chip that Teac engineers and AKM co/developed. It is smooth and detailed at the same time. It makes the ESS Saber DACs sound clinical while the Teac sounds like music. Plus you have a real remote, fully balanced output including headphone amp, full DSD support, choice of upsamplings and filters. See if it is synergistic with your system.