Tampa Audio Expo 2022

Just got back from this show today. I have been to dozens of RMAF, CES, T.H.E. shows, and others, and I have to say, this show was the worst, both on quality of sound and # of rooms that participated. We were done listening to all the rooms by early afternoon. My flight took longer than this, and I have another day to kill before leaving. There were some nice rooms that we spent more time in: MBL, Von Schweikert, Black Ice, Fink, and BØRRESEN. In the past, we would spend 3 days at a show because you went back 2x or more to the rooms you liked or it took more time to go thru all the rooms.

Hopefully next year will be better.

p05129

Showing 2 responses by rbstehno

This was my 1st Tampa audio expo and I agree with a couple of other people here that it didn't have the sound quality that other shows have had, especially for the price. For example, only a few years ago at RMAF, a pair of $6000 totems would have been in the top 5 of the best sounding rooms at this audio show. I also liked the systems on the 2nd floor. I was listening to many speaker systems that were mid fi at best that cost anywhere from $30k to $100k+ that a pair of Revel Salon 2's/Studio 2's or Wilson $20k/$30k speakers would have blown them out of the water for 1/2 the price. 

I was also disappointed on the number of rooms showing equipment. I'm guessing each floor averaged 4 rooms that were demostrating.

For the amount of money that most of these rooms had invested in their equipment that sounded pretty bad, 2 rooms for me stood out that weren't that expensive: the Black Ice room and the room with creek gear. This was the best sounding Creek gear I ever heard, the downside was they were hooked up to $100k speakers that were just decent. For $100k, there are much better speakers at that price level or many times less IMO: Von Schweikert, Wilson, Usher, Revel, Raidho, Magico, etc....

I heard a rumor during the show that RMAF will be coming back later this year. If so, that would be good to go to.