Take up drums at age 56?

I know this technically has nothing to do with high end audio but I know there are some drummers here that might be able to help me along here....or tell me to skip it altogether. And it does have to do with music.

I'm almost embarrassed to even post this. I'm 56. I have never played a musical instrument other than dabbling with a harmonica. I do not read music. I am certain that I'll never perform for anyone or play in a band.

But I've always wanted to play drums.

And now I have enough money to get a simple cheap used drum kit and I have a basement that is isolated enough to not bother the neighbors. (I actually have an acquaintance who refurbishes used drums who can probably hook me up).

So I have a couple of questions:

1) Can you teach yourself to play drums? Alone or with YouTube etc? Are actual lessons required? Can I skip the practice pad and start with a kit?

2) Is there any point? In other words, even if I were to learn to play are the drums the kind of instrument that you sit down and play for your own pleasure the way you would a guitar?

My realistic expectation is that I'd get a simple kit. Try to do something with it. Find that it is much harder to do than it looks, especially for a guy with two left feet. It sits in the basement for a while and then I sell it for a big loss but hopefully at least happy that I tried it.

Any other thoughts on the matter?

(If totally inappropriate for this site I have no problem removing the post.....especially if someone points me to a better site for the topic.)

n80

Showing 9 responses by jc4659

My wife was understanding about it.  She's the one who surprised me with the e-kit (guessing so she didn't have to hear me play!). When I had the acoustic kit set up in the basement of our previous home, even with the windows closed she could hear me play 2 houses away!

Whenever I tell her I'm going to play she always says "just don't hurt yourself."
N80
yours is my story almost exactly!  I was the same age when I did it.  And I went overboard with buying additional cymbals, drums, accessories, etc.  I contacted the band instructors at a few local high schools and got the names of a few good drummers.  I ended up hiring a guy who aspired to becoming a professional drummer and he was at a point where he was so good that there were few teachers locally who could teach him anything new.  He was old enough to drive and so taught me at my home on my kit.  He taught me to read music and most importantly to start slowly.  I'm 64 now but relocated twice in the last 9 years.  I recently sold my acoustic kit because I am currently in an apartment.  I still drum along to music all played through my headphone.  I don't regret a day of it but you may find that it's a lot harder than you think.  And you must practice, practice, practice!  Good luck!

Failed to mention that I have an electronic kit now.  Not as visually impressive but still sounds great and is lots of fun.
@bdp24 Thanks for sharing!  Lots of really good advice and insight in your post.  I sincerely hope that the OP gives it a try.  It certainly gives one a better appreciation for the complexities of the instrument and good music in general.  It taught me to listen to the percussion in a song, what was played and sometimes more importantly, what was not played.  Hope that makes sense.

No, the electronic kit has a control box that everything is plugged into but you will need headphones.  The control box is like a mini computer and you can change the sounds of any of the drums and cymbals, mine has "coaching" functions, loops of a wide variety of music, connections for external music (I use an iPad), plus an output if you want to hear yourself "live" and mine is connected to a mixer, amplifier and speakers for that purpose.  It's extremely versatile.  If you do buy an acoustic kit and plan to play in your basement then you should get some earplugs.  I'm almost certain I lost some hearing by not following that advice.  Lastly, you should go down to a music store such as Guitar Center and try out a few electronic kits before you get the acoustic kit.  Rock on!
@n80 where are you located?  If near S.E. Wisconsin you are welcome to see my Roland V electronic kit.  

@n80 Which ever direction you choose to go in, just remember to have fun and don't quit your day job!

Lastly, if you are OC about audio, you'll probably be that way about your drums.  Set up, different drum heads, tuning, different cymbals, different toms, different snares, sticks, etc. it gets costly.  My advice: Keep it simple!

Enjoy the ride (pun intended),
JC
More excellent insight from @bdp24!  Timing.  That is another benefit of my Roland kit.  It will test your timing and give you a score.  Some days I feel like I'm in good rhythm and get a score in the 90's while other days it still sounds good but my score is in the 70's.  I can hear the difference now but couldn't in the beginning.