T+A DAC 200 or WEISS 501

Who will take what if given an opportunity lets take a vote.

jasbirnandra

Showing 5 responses by milpai

@jasbirnandra , Like you I have to go blind - at least for now. And based on the information I gathered, I would go with the T+A DAC 200, if these were the only 2 DACs. For me the reasons are completely different. The primary being that the T+A can do DSD, while the Weiss cannot. I don't want to go into the discussion of PCM Vs DSD because that is not relevant here. But all my FLAC files are converted to 512 DSD before playback through the current DAC. Hence the T+A. TBH, I would be content even with the older T+A DAC 8 DSD, which is not made anymore. But they are hard to come by on used market since they are coveted for their DSD playback.

Huff is constantly having a BEST of breed because he HAS TO

I agree with you. I also appreciate Huff's efforts to provide viewers with a POV on the latest and greatest DACs; but he is also not running a charity. Youtube pays you by the views and you also have ads on Youtube pages. So I would take whatever he says with a grain of salt. It is HIS system and HIS listening preference - so nothing is gospel.

Based on whatever I have been following and users on THIS forum, who currently own - the DAC 200 seems to be the one to got for the long haul. If T+A came up with a "DAC only" unit just like the Weiss, my check to any dealer would be ready right now.

@ljgm ,

Congratulations on the T+A. Good to know that you really dig the new DAC.

But please do let us know what your previous DAC was. What are your listening preferences - as in laid back or forward presentation, genre of music, etc. Will be great if you can compare the T+A to the previous DAC or any other you might have auditioned in your system. Have fun with your re-NEW-ed listening experience 😁

I had the Rockna Wavelight and the Hugo TT2 on my radar. But found out that both convert DSD to PCM internally. So looking at other options now. Thanks for sharing your experience. Will be keen on hearing more from you - this is an interesting DAC you own.

@blisshifi 

Thank You for the details on the sound comparison. It is very helpful. I will reach out to you at some point.