T+A DAC 200 or WEISS 501

Who will take what if given an opportunity lets take a vote.

jasbirnandra

Showing 4 responses by markmuse

I have the T+A DAC 200 in my system now on a trial basis. I am also trying the PS Audio DirectStream Mk2. I own the Bricasti M3, been using it for more than a year. In my system the T+A and M3 are similar, with a slight edge to the T+A in terms of detail.

The DS Mk2 on the other hand is more refined than either: smoother but with more micro-dynamics, resulting in better textures, detail, and separation of instruments; definitely more soundstage depth than the others; a larger soundstage; better definition in low frequencies.

I am not using the preamp feature in any of these. Unless things change dramatically I will be going with the PS Audio unit. I will say that the build quality on both the Bricasti and T+A is stellar. 

@dougthebiker 

thanks for that info, I’ve got about 100 hours signal time on both so far. Did you find the DS 2 lost detail as it burned in? My experience with DACs and most electronics is they open up and get smoother, but apparent detail improves. 

@dougthebiker Ok, here are some key differences: A 300b amp would have a more gentle presentation than mine (BTW, what speakers?). I have a pair of AGD Tempo stereo amps bi-amping my Fyne F1-8s. The Tempos are very detailed and smooth, but not in the least bit shy... a bit forward compared to Pass, and I would bet a good bit more forward than your 300B amp. And the Fynes are similarly detailed. I want to replace my M3 because it is a bit too forward in my system, and at least so far the T+A has a very similar presentation. All summed in my system, just a bit too much of a good thing. I readily admit to being very sensitive to brightness. At one point I replaced the slightly aggressive tubes in my preamp with others for a more gentle presentation.

Regarding bass, yes, the T+A has plenty. But in my estimation it is like monitor speakers where there is an emphasis in the mid-bass. That is not so with the DS 2, and I think that is why my perception is better definition in the bass region with the DS 2. The very low frequencies are not masked by a hump an octave or two above.  My sub, BTW, is a KEF 9 something, and it really does reach the limits of hearing with authority. 

Anyway, I think the differences in our systems explains some of the differences in our perceptions of these DACs.

I should add that I think the T+A is an excellent DAC, but so far it is not the right one for my system.