SUT help

Hello all,

I've combed the forums and pretty much every SUT thread either devolves into arguments of the merits for/against, or gets hyper specific. I'm assuming to properly match a SUT, it needs to be selected based on the cartridge AND phono pre-amp. Since I haven't found a thread about my specific combo...here I am.

I don't know a TON about SUTs, but I'd like to experiment to see if adding one will enhance my experience.

Currently, my cartridge is a Hana ML and my phono pre-amp is the Modwright PH 9.0XT. I may possibly move up to the Hana Umami Red in the nearish future, but the specs are fairly similar between that and the ML.

Hana ML specs: 0.4mv; 7 ohm/1khz
Hana Umami Red specs: 0.4mv; 6 ohm/1khz

Modwright PH 9.0xt - MM input is 52db gain, with option to lower -6 and -12 to 46db and 40db.

I currently use the MC input which offers 64db of gain (-6, -12). I've typically kept it at 64db and alternate between 100ohm and 250ohm for load impedance settings. The 470 is too much.

--

Not sure if its possible to have a SUT that would work well with both the ML and umami red, but if so, I'm all ears. If not and they each need specific ones, I'd be considering the ML first and foremost.

Any help is appreciated. I don't really have any clue how to determine what ratio is best and whether copper or silver pair better with these cartridges. I had EM/IA recommended to me in the past, but their pricing is well beyond what I'd like to spend on one (~$1500 or less, ideally?)

128x128mmcgill829

@theflattire Thanks for sharing. Pretty simple and clean inside.

@billstevenson Bob's is definitely an option too. Looks like full refunds accepted minus 10% restock fee for 2 weeks. Could be wise to start there since if I can't really discern any real difference or improvements I can just return it. Slightly poorer, but richer in experience.

The custom ones (like the HM-7 one) would definitely be going out on a limb.

There's a Bob's Sky10 on USAM right now.

1:10 is probably all you need.

I gotta say, I listened first through the MC side and then through the Hashimotos and I don't hear much difference.  Of course there is the gain.

Not listening for anything in particular, just seeing if anything sticks out.  Both ways throw sound out pretty far to the sides and my speakers are kinda close together.

I think at this level you are pretty maxed out.

I would probably spend the money on a cart before a SUT (of course I already got one).

I just got a used a Koetsu Black and it's a wow.  Get the Umami!

@theflattire interesting!

I'm definitely considering the Umami (though I also thought about the Etsuro Cobalt) but I struggle spending $4k (or $6k) on a cart that will have to be replaced every couple years due to wear. The trade in is a 30% discount toward a new one, but still. That's a pretty high recurring cost. Whereas something like a SUT if it offered any improvement lasts pretty much forever. That was my logic, at least. haha.

Side note, it's a bummer that Koetsu is no more. Good thing you got one while you still can!

In my opinion, if you are dissatisfied with the SUTs that are built into the Modwright, you ought to talk to Modwright about having them install a better pair of SUTs. You would have pretty much the same array of choices, you probably will save money because you don't have to pay for the box that houses the SUTs, you probably gain some advantage over any external SUTs in that you avoid another set of RCA connectors and wires with capacitance in the signal path, It's a win, win, win proposition.  After all, Modwright made their bones by modifying gear built by other companies; surely they can do the same for their own gear.