Suggestions for testing a never installed, 20-year boxed amp.

I have a new Pass Labs X5 power amp that has never been installed (boxed up for over 20 years). I'm looking for suggestions about powering this unit up. I'm concerned about connecting it up to my current speakers the first time I power it up. Should let it cook while connected to some load resistors? Should I leave the inputs unconnected or loaded? 

philliprcook

Before I powered up my long dormant Pioneer SX-1050 I found a current limiting device on eBay. It used a light bulb to someone limit current. It powered up OK. I then used a multimeter to check for DC on the speaker terminals. Luckily there was none. 

Yes, good advice about checking for DC with a multimeter.  Unlike a tube amp with output transformers, some solid state amps can pass DC.

I’d contact Pass Labs. They may tell you to run the amplifier through a variac in order to allow the capacitors to reform safely. Best of luck. 👍

Just curious: How did you end up coming upon an unused for 20 years boxed up amplifier?

Many years ago I rebuilt a handful of very old (circa 1870-75) Acoustic Control Corp. solid state guitar/bass amplifiers.

I had this same question. Yontz, at Mad Scientist Audio (? - been a long time) suggested using a light bulb current limiter, basically a light bulb socket spliced into a short extension cord with a 60 watt bulb.

NEW electrolytic caps AND old, discharged ones appreciate slow voltage build-up. Worked like a charm.

Lately though I use a 20 amp variac on recapping projects. ADCOM preamps, amps, tube amps, 1.5 kW HF linear amps, etc.

Curious to know what you do and how it works out for you.