Suggestion for Amp to 2 ohm loads?

What would you suggest for an Amp that can handle down to a 2ohm load and that is rated up to 300 watts a Channel?

I do not need the Max Watts of 300watts.

Thanx!
nearsota
Hi "Phild",

I don't know what your price range may be, but what is easily the best sounding amp for the job that I have ever heard is the Clayton Audio S40. This stereo power amplifier is a pure Class A design and will play loads down to 1 Ohm. It's rated at 50 wpc RMS into 8 Ohms, and doubles the watts each time you cut the Ohms in half (i.e. 200 wpc RMS into 2 Ohms).

If you don't think that the S40 is enough power for you, you could step up to the M100 monoblocks. These put out double the power of the S40, so you would get 400 wpc into a 2-Ohm impedance load.

They are built like a tank, with huge heat sinks covering the entire top of the amplifier, and they seem to run flawlessly forever.

I've used the S40 in my system for over 3 years, driving anything from dynamic speakers (sometimes even two per side), to planars, to the very demanding electrostatic models with ease, and have never even blown a single fuse.

If you haven't heard or seen any amplifiers from Clayton Audio, there are several reviews on www.SoundStage.com, amongst others.

Happy listening!

Sincerely,

-Donald
W ENTERPRISES NORTHWEST
McIntosh MC-352 will carry all loads, no problem, and have excellent sonic characteristics! $4,500 amp can now be purchased preowned for about $2,750, new, on the net with no warranty for about $3,200.

Dan
It would help to know what you are trying to do with the amp and your budget. For a budget audiophile like myself, McIntosh and Krell, even used are way out of my price range. I do know that the good old Adcom GFA-555II is rated at 325 watts at 4 ohms x2 and can handle a two ohm load. And at $350 -$400 for a used one is an affordable one.
I drive a pair of Thiel 3.6s, that are pretty inefficient and are said to go down to around 2 ohms, with a Conrad Johnson MF2500.
I am in the process of getting a new,and I mean new,pqir of NEAR M50's setup.If you had the review of Stereophiles report on the stock version you will find that the Impedance drops to the 2ohm range.
I will be getting the M50's that incorperate a new Crossover network and possibly newer driver's as the person I am getting them from worked with NEAR and is in the process of starting up a new company that incorperatres NEAR technology!
To be on the safe side I want to have an amp that is capable of handling that type of load and which is Solid State.
I have a Modified B&K ST202 .but I do not believe that shall beable to handle a 2ohm load.

Thx!