Streamer only

I am not tech savvy and I have a DAC already in my integrated amp.I just wanted to try streaming. I would like to use Qobuz and need to purchase a streamer. I don’t need the dac included within the unit. I hate to pay a large amount for a unit that has a high quality DAC included. Are there any high quality streamers where I am not paying for the higher quality DAC included in the unit? My system is a Levinson 585 and Acendo C8 R speakers. 

Ag insider logo xs@2xpal

If you want to get into streaming at nominal cost, check out the WiiM Mini (about $100) or the WiiM Pro (about $150) -- both support Qobuz and other streaming services, are very easy to set up and have a good app for your phone for selecting and controlling music. The Mini is optical-out only but the Pro does both optical and coax out (no USB out on either.)  Amazon has both available. (There is also a Pro Plus but you're paying for a nicer built-in DAC which you said you don't need.)

If you decide you need something fancier after that you can upgrade to something audiophile-approved without having spent a bunch of money on round one.  (I use a Mini with a bluetooth speaker in my office for radio and background music, so there is always another use. )

The Raspberry Pi approach is also another alternative (and will do USB out) and can be done for $100 or so, but takes a bit more of a DIY approach.

One option would be to get a Bluesound Node for $499 (includes a cheap DAC) and add a Teddy Pardo linear power supply for $395 and you’d have a solid streamer setup for about $800 (note this Node only has an SPDIF digital out — no USB out).  The power supply provides a notable boost in performance and can always be added later.  The Eversolo DMP-A6 is $859 and has a USB out if that’s a concern.  Best of luck. 

Isn’t anybody going to mention that any old PC or Apple computer could act as a streamer?  If your preamp doesn't have a compatible input, you could buy an inexpensive DAC that would take a USB input from the computer. The DAC would then be connected to your preamp / integrated amp.

You’d need software, that would run on the computer, that would supply the appropriate data stream to the DAC. I use Roon. Roon is equipped to receive the digital stream from Qobuz, and pass it along to the DAC. You could copy, or "rip", your CD files directly to your computer’s hard drive.

You can do it!