Streamer/DAC combinations

Looking for opinions on Streamer/DAC combinations.  I am currently using a Node as my streamer and DAC.  Considering upgrading.  The options seem to be endless, so thought I'd solicit some of your opinions.  My node is currently running through a McIntosh C42 Preamp into a McIntosh MC352 Power amp.  Using Klipsh Forte IV's.  The node sounds good, but I think I may be leaving something on the table in SQ.  Not wanting to break the bank so to speak.  Maybe spend in the $2-3K area for budget.  Opinions???

128x128davegolf2424

Yeah @vthokie83 brings up a very important point. I think only the latest Node has a USB out so the Iris won’t work with older Nodes although I read something that one of the model’s maintenance USB port can be reprogrammed to work as a USB out but not sure on that.

That aside, agree that i2S is absolutely the way to go, and along with the recommendations above I’d add the DH Labs HDMI 2.1 that gets very good feedback from users here, and I think they’re offering 10% off on their site. BTW, for i2S you wanna keep the HDMI cable as short as possible and preferably down to a foot or less although not many manufacturers offer that length. Just go as short as possible.

https://silversonic.com/products/digital-cables/hdmi-2-1/

If your budget is tight, I got this 6” HDMI cable from Monoprice for less than five bucks and it was still very capable of conveying the considerable improvements with the Iris and i2S connection so a very cheap/easy way to get your feet wet until you upgrade. There seems to be mixed feedback as to how much difference the HDMI cable makes — some hear a difference but others who spent some $ on an upgrade didn’t get much improvement, so pick yer poison. Anyway, congrats on the new DAC and DDC and hope all works out with the Node. If it does I’m confident you’re gonna be one very happy camper.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13574

Don't know if the Moon Ace would nock your C42 off its perch but ListenUp has them marked down to $3.5K.  Collapse the streamer,DAC and pre into one tidy unit. 

For a good entry level streamer, that will work with your incoming Denafrips gear: Bluesound Node 130 ($499 new, $300 used), the new Node X ($750 new, $600 used), the Eversolo DMP-A6 ($850....they are in such high demand that you'll not find them used I don't think)

That's a good, better, better option list.....best will cost more.

I will say that I have had the Node 130 for 2 years, and the with the Iris/Pontus II combo for just less than that. I have not once said to myself that this combo didn't sound good. I have tested (and will upgrade to) an Aurender/Innuous/Lumin at some point, but not running out the door right now to do it....but those units all sound great with the Pontus as well; and I've had 4 different units in to test.

I picked up a used Innuos Zen3 MKII server/streamer and used Denafrips Pontus II DAC for a total of $3,100.  This is my first foray into higher quality streaming.  I am really enjoying this combination for both a digital server and streamer.