Step up from Nakamichi 582 tape deck?

Have an option to acquire a very good working order 680zx.
At present have a 582 and was interested if those in the know would consider it to be a worthwhile upgrade?

Or would I need to go even further up the food chain? Zx-7 or 700zxl or?

I have just purchased a massive lot of tapes at pennies per tape so do not foresee me forsaking this medium anytime soon .. Lol.
128x128uberwaltz
680zx is definitely a huge step up from 582. My personal experience, 680zx playback sound is very close to 1000zxl. It has auto record calibration and don’t forget the gorgeous meters on it. The only thing missing is Dolby C 
So probably no need to go further than the 680zx?
I think the one I am looking at is very fairly priced so may well take a chance on it.

Thank you
Well, 680zx is a warm sounding machine and has best bass of most cassette decks. If you're OK with auto record calibration then yes unless you find a screaming deal on a ZX-7/9 or 1000zxl. To my ears ZX-7 is a great recorder and a Playback machine but  it doesn't have the warmth of the 680. 

I went with the 680zx although he also had a zx9 for sale but that was a LOT more money, much more than I am prepared to spend on a cassette deck.
We will see when it shows up in a back to back comparison with my 582.
Not yet, I missed the Fedex truck yesterday and it needing signing for.
Now I am away all next week so I imagine it will either sit in some Fedex storage or end up being returned as undeliverable.

Seller is NOT answering email requests to change delivery address to have it held at a local Fedex location, like Walgreens where the wife could collect it from after work.

Oh well my problems but was looking forward to a comparo but not to be for a while... lol.
Probably one of the last decent generation of Nak decks made.
Not too shabby but not top shelf.
However likely to floor a LOT of mainstream Akai, Sony, Pioneer tape decks etc.

As long as you did not pay over the odds and it is in good working order just enjoy!
I am liking it and the sound.  300 bucks.  Making tapes and playing tapes and glad I have a lot of these old Maxell UDXLII 90 mins because they sound a lot better than the std bias UD that is for certain.  I didn't realize they stopped making the chrome tape so it's good to have recording stock.
You can end up paying more for NOS tape especially Chrome from fleabay than you did your player!

Glad you have a stash!

I have found a few NOS tapes in charity shops of late.

Enjoy your new deck!
Yeah thanks, I had no idea on the tapes.  The Maxell UDXLII in particular still sound great and the case also seems way better than the TDK SA.  I bought probably 3x the Maxell so that's good news too.  I hate to play regular tapes because I believe they may coat the heads faster.  Anyway it's my theory and I am "sticking to it" pun clearly intended!
TDK tapes always ended up stretching the few time I tried them. Maxell UDXL-II and XL-IIS were my favourite by a landslide. TEAC cassette reel to reel tapes performed admirably also, but weren’t as readily available as the Maxell tapes. 
I’ve got a Sony TC-K570 3 head deck bought in the mid-90’s which I’m amazed with how good it sounds. Previously it was a Technics RS-M234X 2 head deck with dbx that performed flawlessly. I never got around to trying the Sony with my dbx 224 encoder/decoder but when I eventually do, I believe it’ll be utopian. 
Holy Moly!
You had to have dropped some serious coin for that!

Nearly the Holy Grail!
Roughly seventeen hundred, WH repair was about seven fitty, so I thought I did pretty well (hope so).  They do seem pretty rare.  The main thing is to have it gone over.  I guess this one is the "recording champ" with the Dragon the "playback champ"?
That would appear to be a pretty fair price for one that has already been Hermanized.

People are asking more for ones that may need work.

I had same dilemna when picking a Pioneer r2r, I bought cheap and got problems. Then I bought a fully restored, recapped, set up unit for a lot more but what a difference. Well worth it.

Now I am looking at a zx-7. lol, it never ends!
The only "bad" thing is that WH won't transfer the warranty, but hopefully it will last years without needing it!  I do think I got a good deal based on the rebuild and am planning on using it a lot.  Many albums to record! 
680zx or 682zx would be a good step up from a 582.a zx7 is a step up again from the 680 series.i went from a 582z to zx7.
I am seriously considering a zx7 mainly due to bad luck run twice!

I purchased a 682 from ebay and it got lost by Fedex after they could not deliver it the first try as I was not in to sign . Then it was simply never seen again and Fedex after 3 weeks admitted they had no clue where it went, I got my money back from seller and hopefully they did from Fedex.

Second I then bought a 680 from ebay and this arrived safe and sound but just did not work correctly as advertised at all. So this was returned for a full refund.

In twenty years of dealing on eBay I have never had such a run of bad luck but stuff happens.

So now looking at upping the ante to a zx7 .

Maybe.......
Nak poker.  First you get thieved then you get lied to.  If you are lucky one of two people in the world will fix it for big $$ while you wait many moons.
You know you are a serious addicted tape head when you buy 200 rock tapes off eBay for $60 shipped.

And then buy a Nak 660zx just for a backup spare tape deck......
I had a 1000 ZXL .....can't get better (sorry I sold it...needed a belt...so did I)
Yes you did …. lol

But I could say the same over ALL the old muscle cars I have owned which back then were just old gas guzzlers and not 50 to 100k plus machines.

The wisdom of hindsight but the fun of misguided youth … No regrets!
The ZX-9 arrived.  Me, too stupid to know to push that Azimuth button, didn't.  Willie Hermann is a gentleman, and didn't call me stupid.  There really are a lot of buttons and stuff to learn about on this machine, meanwhile it really does sound pretty amazing.  I made a short tape and pretty impressed. 
Well the zx7 arrived today and what a machine, I am sure they landed a man on the moon with less computing power and switches than this deck has!

The 660zx was a nice step up from the 582 indeed.

But this is in another league entirely.

Playback is extremely detailed, maybe not quite as much bottom end as the 660 but a lot more air and detail .

Very happy so far ,next up will be plopping in a TDK SA, setting azimuth for that tape and make a recording from Qobuz hires.
This morning I finally took off those little cap thingies and sat down and perused the setting procedure.  It is a bit daunting but kind of fascinating too.  I felt like I needed some adjustment recently when source started sounding noticeably better than tape.  Time to do a demag and start messing with this machine in earnest.  First I should read this manual which isn't easy because it's written in Japanese American.  Good for a few laughs though.
Hi everyone, what would you say market value is for a Nakamichi DR -2 in near mint condition and completely shopped out week by a qualified repair center?

I’m thinking of selling it. Beautiful cosmetic and performance condition.Dave