Started with $1k speakers … what now?

I got into this hobby during Covid, browsing YouTube reviews my first speakers were Polk L100s and Sonus Faber Lumina 1s. Not bad as an entry point, but wondering what would be the next level is where a speaker is built with fewer compromises in the drivers and crossover design.  My hope was that in the $5k range truer “hifi” entry points may be found in a small room system with a REL t5x. My source and amplification is already in the $5k range. 

I visited a hifi store recently but was overwhelmed by the amount of choice and unsure what would be an upgrade based on first listening impressions alone. 

Thanks in advance for any insights.

jdavis234

@audioguy85 I don't believe you stated what amplification you use. You mentioned a small room, what is LXWxH? 

Would make a difference when choosing between Pulsars or Carbon7s.

@mesch  12x14x 9. Amp is Quad Artera + Pre. (150w/8ohm). I had a marantz and Schiit Vidar/Freya before and was not happy with them. I like this amp; I don’t hear coloration or grain like the others mentioned, it’s just a touch on the ‘smooth’ side of things, which is fine for me.

Can't possibly go wrong with Proac stand mounts.  Year after year, rave after rave from owners.

It's the kind of standmount that even were you to move in a huge theatre, you would not want to part with your proacs.

They do need current, not the most sensitive.  And you already have a sub.  I think you'd be stunned by how great they sound.  I sure was.  Talk about "musicians in the room with you!" they have it in spades...

Well your room is similar in size to my own. In that size room I would think your amp at 150wpc would drive the Pulsars fine. They are not as easy to drive as the Fritz however.