Started with $1k speakers … what now?

I got into this hobby during Covid, browsing YouTube reviews my first speakers were Polk L100s and Sonus Faber Lumina 1s. Not bad as an entry point, but wondering what would be the next level is where a speaker is built with fewer compromises in the drivers and crossover design.  My hope was that in the $5k range truer “hifi” entry points may be found in a small room system with a REL t5x. My source and amplification is already in the $5k range. 

I visited a hifi store recently but was overwhelmed by the amount of choice and unsure what would be an upgrade based on first listening impressions alone. 

Thanks in advance for any insights.

jdavis234

Showing 10 responses by jdavis234

@ltmandella ProAcs are also on my audition list. For what it’s worth, I’ve read from one online retailer that they mate well with the Artera.

Thanks, soix.

I have a Quad Artera pre and stereo amplifier, mogami interconnects, blue jeans canare quad star speaker cables. A furman power conditioner. Emotiva XIEC power cords.

I suppose my real concern is if going from $1k to $3-$5k is a reasonable step up for someone with not a lot of experience in the hobby. I don’t want to go crazy at this point but in the $1k range I’m at I realize I’m getting things like stamped drivers, lower quality magnets, copper, ect. I listened to a Harbeth (can’t recall the model), Graham LS6, Moon Voice 22 (which I liked the most on first impression).

Soix, thanks for asking, streamer is ifi Zen with the linear power supply, I'm using a Schiit Bifrost 2/64 right now for a DAC.My turntable is a Denon DP-47F with a Hana EL mc cart.

New is good, used is better.

As far as improvements, it's a great question because for me its something I don't really know until I hear it, which is why I went to demo a few things out of curiousity. It was good to hear a much more expensive DeVore also and I did realize that my ear just isn't there yet to appreciate those things, yet. What I liked about the Moon Voice 22 was that in addition to energy in the low end it handled complexity well and had a good sense of scale and width, a reason why I was interested in Ohm speakers as well that could cater to more than one person (haven't heard them, though). While I mostly listen to jazz, vocals, and solo classical, I like plenty of indie rock and alternative. With everything I listened to, I didn't get the impression it was that much better and was almost disappointed until I went back and listened to the same things on my current system.

hilde45 - Good advice, I completely agree. And thanks for the ’insider’ info. I’m going to take a look.

soix, thank you. This looks like a step in the right direction!
mahgister - Great points, well advised. 👍

Thanks everyone for such knowledgeable feedback, it’s extremely helpful. I feel a lot more confident now in the direction I should be headed and the things I should consider (or not) in this price range.

@immatthewj I see where deep is coming from in the sense that diy or used will provide more of an improvement than buying new. I’m not considering any diy projects, however. I have a couple very questionably soldered guitar pedals I’ve diy’d in the past.

@benanders A fair question, and thanks for your insight. The SF is a smaller front ported box and works closer to wall boundaries. The Polk has to be positioned out from the walls, at least in the space where I have them. So they served different purposes for me, and sonically I like the tone of the SF Lumina but also the impact and soundstage of the Polks, which can be a bit less exciting, overall, in my setup/space. The adage “buy cheap buy twice” isn’t lost on me, though; I honestly didn’t know a thing about speakers or placement then and felt 1k was a good starting point. So moving on from this, I’m looking for a speaker that is built to a higher level of performance, hoping that that 3-5k range new or used will get there and seeing some of the great suggestions, it seems that it will, regardless of room treatments or placement options, which are certainly their own important considerations. I really appreciate the suggestions for the Carbons and Joseph Audio, and others. These are products I wouldn’t have known about otherwise. I’ll be looking at a few.

@mesch  12x14x 9. Amp is Quad Artera + Pre. (150w/8ohm). I had a marantz and Schiit Vidar/Freya before and was not happy with them. I like this amp; I don’t hear coloration or grain like the others mentioned, it’s just a touch on the ‘smooth’ side of things, which is fine for me.