Stand out phono stages

This topic has been started before by others and myself as well, maybe too many times, but it is worth revisiting since the source is so very important!
So far I have had the pleasure to enjoy two worthy phono stages: the EAR 834p and the JLTI.
I have to admit they are spectacular. Obviously the record and all the equipment downstream play a role in the sound heard. In some cases I prefer the JLTI and in other cases the EAR. But neither out do the other dramatically.
What phono preamps outshine others by a big margin, those that can be considered the last phono preamp ever needed.
pedrillo
John, If you can get away with only 10-ohm grid-stoppers, perhaps you could get away with none at all. (I have forgotten what tube types are used in the K&K that might require grid-stoppers.) In circuits that really need grid-stoppers, 100 ohms is usually the minimum starting point. Anyway I use Audio Note 100-ohm grid-stoppers in signal path applications, and I agree that they are very transparent. For less demanding applications, Riken-Ohm resistors as grid-stoppers are also excellent. I have been thinking about that K&K balanced phono stage for quite some time, for use with MM cartridges. Looks very good. The other balanced tube unit that I like is the Hagerman Trumpet, which sadly seems to be NLA.
Lew, FWIW I don't think there exists any situation in which there should be no grid stop resistors. Without them the circuit is RF susceptible, and the preamp can also be prone to internal oscillation.
The ESE Nibiru-This stage will my last phono preamp, it literally sounds like nothing is between the TT and the amp, it is superb. Whatever is on the record is what you will hear. It is also super quiet.

The best thing about it is no one ever mentions it!!!
I would add Tron Seven to this list.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/tron2/seven.html
Another vote for the TRON Seven (www.tron-electric.co.uk). Built to order by the designer (Graham Tricker) himself - you can have it matched to your pickup. Great build quality and great sound. Jeff at Highwater Sound in NYC distributes in the US.