Speakers that disappear

I once listened to some speakers where i was surprised by their disappearing act - I don't remember the brand - I think they were stand mounted. I am currently looking for speakers - not too big - and was hoping for recommendations - I know other components matter too but I understand some speakers are noted for this trait and some don't. I listen mostly to classical and vocals, lighter pop - no hard rock (I assume the Beatles and 60's count as "light" :) )  Speakers I have

Harbeth PS3ER XD,  

Martin Logan Stylos Speakers (wall mounted)
Aurum Cantus Leisure 2 Speakers, 

Enigma Speakers -   Enigma Oremus

Had Focal Aria 906

Thanks!  

128x128ahal1

re: brummgon: I saw a relevant interview with Richard Vandersteen recently, in his opinion the speakers with the largest sweet spot are the ones with the worst phase accuracy, and they can't do pin-point imaging as a result. This is why his designs are not dipole or omnipolar.

I agree that all speakers can be made to disappear with proper placement of the speakers and the listening position.  It also MAY help to have some room treatment (can be as simple and unobtrusive as putting up a wall hanging on large exposed surfaces or adding diffusion with bookcases, potted plants, etc.).

The difference between speakers tend to make certain types easier to get to disappear.  Small standmounted speakers placed well away from walls are particularly easy to make disappear. 

But anything can be made to disappear. Just this weekend I heard a system with very good imaging that sort of defies the usual expectations because of its size.  It is more than 30" wide, taller than six feet and is three feet deep (horn-based).  If that elephant in the room can disappear, anything can.

Aha1,

Maybe you should research these speakers. www.bloomline.com. I've heard them and they are really amazing! No sweet spot anymore at all. Even when you walk around, the music seems to come from a stage you're walking by.

Hope you'll find your perfect speaker. 

You might consider older Audio Physic speakers.  I liked them back in the 90s.  I have large full range speakers that disappear, Von Schweikert, which have great dispersion.  They can disappear with the right recordings (not many of my jazz combo 1950s though as they are often left/right channel only.   

Mini and regular monitor size speakers are best for disappearing with great imaging potential over large speakers.  Concentric driver design speakers also have the ability to disappear.