Speaker audition: a novice’s journey

I am no expert at audio. But I like to listen to music, primarily classical and then a little bit of everything else such as jazz and soft/alternate rock, both at home and concerts. I am looking for speakers that can play classical well, can represent the ‘body’ of a full scale orchestra. That can soundstage and image well. And that can isolate different instruments. Oh yes, my budget is 10-15K.

On this forum I got tremendous help from several folks. Now I have a list of speakers that I need to check out.

So, sooner the better and I decided to take a plunge. Along the way I’ll also learn how to really audition speakers. It’s a little dummy’s guide to myself. I wouldn’t get into technicalities, my head rings when a dealer tries to explain first order network and phase-time coherence. After all it ain’t matters how sophisticated the science is. The speakers need to sound good. Period. My evaluation is purely by how it sounds, caveat being on untrained ears. I am planning to use the same set of music so that I can get a fair comparison.

I decided to write down my experience (coming in the response links below); hopefully someone, someday will be benefited by it. I welcome your inputs/suggestions.
neal1502
I agree with Onhwy61 on this one - It is tragic that you didn't hear the Lenores at their full potential. Bad setup (a 12 x 12 room is a nightmare, far too small, and being a square will create big standing waves) will kill even the best sounding speaker.
Ok. I did see your system and components as you had posted.
IMHO, if that is your entire budget, I would get maybe a 7-9K
speaker, and save a few bucks for future upgrades. If you then decide you are happy w/your source and amp, buy more music. If not, you haven't eaten up your entire budget for just the speakers. And as far as the 12 X 12 room, well, what Goatwuss said.
Neil
As you are probably already aware the equipment upstream makes all the difference. To a certain degree the system is only going to sound as good as it's weakest link. I agree with the people who say that speakers are the most important element in your system. But when I started I was personally amazed at how much difference there could be between CD players, and didn't believe that cable could make much difference until I tried 4 or 5 different types of wire. They all sounded different. Personally I now like solid core wire.
So what are you using, equipment wise, at home to push your speakers? That's the problem with auditioning at dealers. All the elements are maximized; perfect acoustics, premium transport, wire, power, and all the accouterments to make you say "Man, these speakers are killer. How soon can you deliver them?". I advise you to listen to friends stereos, and audition speakers on sale on Craigslist and Audiogon. I buy used equipment, admittedly very carefully now that I learned a few lessons, and I've bought some used components I've been really happy with. But I think you should listen to a LOT of different speakers in all kinds of environments. I personally can't say enough good things about Vandersteen speakers. To my experience so far, Richard Vandersteen makes for the money the best speaker you can buy. I also recommend Quads. But I like speakers that are harmonious. As far as dealers go dealers are like car mechanics. There are a lot of bad ones around. If you are close to Southern California I highly recommend Brooks Berdan in Monrovia, Ca. The guy is a peach. He's so low pressure, and he really wants you to get the system you can afford that is right for you. Be patient and take your time. Getting speakers is like getting a dog. You don't want to take it home a realize you don't like it. Good luck.
I'm sure there are a lot of opinions out there. This is my short list of advise:

1) Start with the room. Make sure the room is well prepared including the appropriate acoustic treatments

2) Ensure that you have an idea of balance of the whole system (electronics, cables, etc). It should work as a system

3) Try before you buy....if you can

4) Trust your ears and go with the most musical sound regardless of specifications. Don't get sucked in with other opinions or hype.
Neal,

This is a great thread and I look forward to your next review/post. There is a huge temptation to provide specific options, and several speakers come to mind that I have enjoyed revelatory classical music experiences with the right electronics in the right listening room.

Have to agree with much of the advice here - your electronics/speaker/room combination is critical. A dealer that wants to sell you $10-15K speakers without offering to move to another listening room, let alone demo in you home or offering to hook up to your current electronics in their shop, is someone you should sprint away from IMHO. There are good dealers out there, and as someone suggested, if necessary you should travel to hear various speakers if not available in your home town.

Finally, I have come to the conclusion that with respect to both rock and classical music there is no replacement for displacement. Your budget should put you in a position to get a big enough cabinet to reproduce the scale of this music with convincing scale and authority. But as mentioned, you are starting to edge into the range where marketing and cachet get ahead of acoustic value. Beware.