Spatial Audio Raven Preamp

Spatial is supposed to be shipping the first "wave" from pre orders of this preamplifier in May, does anyone have one on order? Was hoping to hear about it from AXPONA but I guess they were not there. It's on my list for future possibilities. It seems to check all my boxes if I need a preamp.

128x128fthompson251

The Blackbird amps are indeed the next evolution of the Karna amps.  Same circuit, but updated power supplies and simpler tube choices.  All tubes are in current production with multiple manufacturers so there is plenty of choice.  The only exceptions are the voltage regulator tubes, but there are literally thousands of them out there to buy for under $10 per tube.  In the Raven, the damper diodes are no longer in production, but the same is true.  Many to buy and they last for years.

As for the coupling caps, yes I have heard most of the great ones.  I prefer a custom designed transformer.  To me, the transformer has basically no sound.  Not if they are custom designed for the circuit.  The caps all sound very different from each other, plus they take at least 20 hours to run in, with subtle changes for 100 hours.  The transformers sound the same from the first minute.  I was on the cap side of the ancient cap vs. transformer debate for years.  Then I got custom designed transformers.... Now I don't use coupling caps in any of my builds.....

@abd1

As far as I know, Spatial still plans on going to Portland in the fall sometime.  They are busy with the launch of the new smaller S6 speaker and the newer Q3 as well, plus they are ramping up the Raven builds.   I will post here, and of course on their board whenever there is a trip scheduled.  I know there are lots of folks in the PNW who would make the trip for a two day showing of all the gear...and Lynn and I would love to renew some friendships and meet new folks.

Yes, I plan to fly to Portland for the Spatial presentation and demo. This time I'll be sensible and fly Business Class, so I get decent legroom and seat width. And wear a mask at the airport.

I got whacked with Covid after going to the Seattle show last year. Both the Seattle and Denver airports were overcrowded zoos, so I’m pretty sure that’s where I got it. Fortunately, Paxlovid knocked it out in about 36 hours.

This time, I will NOT fly Economy Class, will ask the airline for a wheelchair to traverse the miles-long concourses at Denver, and will wear a 95% filter mask until the A/C on the plane comes on.

For older folks like me, the airports are an exhausting trek without some kind of assistance. They are not ADA compliant unless you tell the airline a day in advance. Otherwise, you walk, with no place to sit and rest.

It’s unfortunate there are only two transportation options between the Pacific Northwest and Denver: a very tedious drive through the wastelands of southern Wyoming, or a United flight on a 100% booked 737 Max. Well, yes, I could rent a private jet, but that’s $20,000 per trip. Don’t think the IRS would accept that as a tax deduction.

The most pleasant trip was taking the Amtrak with a private cabin, but that disappeared ten or fifteen years ago. Sure was nice, though, eating in the dining car while watching the West roll by.