Spatial Audio Raven Preamp

Spatial is supposed to be shipping the first "wave" from pre orders of this preamplifier in May, does anyone have one on order? Was hoping to hear about it from AXPONA but I guess they were not there. It's on my list for future possibilities. It seems to check all my boxes if I need a preamp.

128x128fthompson251

@jc4659 I was using Don Sachs preamp that had his last updates.  I sold it to partially fund the Raven purchase 

@terrapin77 

Yes, please let us know how the Raven mates with your system and your impressions.  It will help others get a data point on a new product that is finally reaching production after 2 years of development.  Spatial is starting to crank them out now.  They are all hand built and point to point wired and they do take time to build.  I believe they will have a 45 day return policy, with little or no restocking fee if you pay the shipping.  So I suppose one could try one relatively risk free.

I use one, and I find it is totally transparent, but I am totally biased:)

cheers,

Don

@donsachs Curious if you are using your pre with stock tubes or not.  I am expecting to receive my pre by the end of May but since I chose the cherry base perhaps a little longer. On one of the other forums someone who received their preamp commented "OMFG" upon first hearing it.  Waiting rather impatiently for the follow up.

@jc4659 That was me who commented OMFG.  I'm planning a writing a review after I get some more hours of listening.  I've never reviewed audio equipment so I'm planning on writing down some notes over the next 3-5 listening sessions. 

@jc4659 I am using the Shuguang flagship WE6SN7plus in mine.   They are finally back in production.  That will be the base tube going forward.  The hand selected Linlai E-6SN7 is more expensive and the upgrade option.  I would say they are both just superb tubes.  The Shuguang is a bit warmer and has almost all of the detail and air of the Linlai.  The Linlai has a tad more air and is a tad more neutral.  That isn't to say the Shuguang is syrupy or the Linlai cold.  You would be happy with either, but if  your system is a bit bright, then pick the Shuguang, and if your system could perhaps use a bit more air, then use the Linlai.  Both are just wonderful tubes.

You have to realize that I have a Lampi Pacific 2 DAC, the matching Blackbird 300b amps, and some amazing open baffle speakers so my system allows me to hear even subtle differences between tubes.  If you had a more pedestrian DAC and amp and speaker in the chain, then the differences would be masked.  The point is that the Raven is totally transparent to my ear and will let you hear everything in a way that most preamps cannot.  My 2 cents, and yes, I am totally biased since Lynn and I designed it!