Soundstage and image height, does it exist?

On another site, there is a discussion on soundstage, and there are a few people clamming, that, since there is no vertical information encoded on stereo recordings, that soundstage height does not actually exist. It is a product of our minds filling in missing information. 

Are they correct?

Please explain your position, with as much technical details as you feel needed.

128x128simonmoon

There is no soundstage image height or image at all. It's just your brain trying to make sense of what it's perceiving its a trick an illusion.

@johnk 

Then how do you explain Northwestern's LEDR recording, already mentioned several times on this thread?

The track in question, starts with a tone in the left speaker, which then moves straight UP to at least 8' or more feet up, moves across to directly over the top of the right speaker, then down to the speaker level. 

Yes, this track was created specifically to exaggerate this effect, but if speakers were incapable of producing height, please explain this track.

So far, this same phenomena occurs on every system I've played it on. Even speakers not known for their great imaging. 

Stereo is an illusion imaging is a trick it’s not there your brain just thinks it is. Just like your brain thinks a moving picture exists when it’s all just still images flashed at a high rate just like you perceive motion in an animated film. If you move off center the image vanishes because it’s not there. If I had only 1 ear would I hear this movement of sound? if you played only 1 speaker would it still be there? No, it wouldn’t because it was never there in the 1st place. During playback, the listener’s brain uses those subtle differences in timing and sound level to triangulate the positions of the recorded objects.

I have very much enjoyed this discussion, found after a google search on the subject. Now I have a bunch of resources to explore.

A couple of examples.

Highway 61 Revisited by Dave Alvin / From an Old Guitar.

Near the start of the song, as it starts to get loud, there is sound coming from high and to the left - way lefter than the left speaker, and as high as the ceiling in my room. My ceiling is 2.9 metres and my tweeters are about ear level.

The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by Brendan Perry / Ark.

As this track evolves there is a constant tick tick tick of something I assume the drummer is doing, I am no expert in musical instruments. This ticking sound, to me, floats around the sound stage like a butterfly. Left to right, forward and back, up and down. It’s fun to track and follow it in the mind.

Bonus track - 

The Ballad of Bill Hubbard by Roger Waters / Amused to Death.

Must surely be a phase trick here. Turn it up loud and sit in the sweet spot, the (about 3) dogs will be barking behind you to the right, at a distance, perceived to be outside.

Other tricks too, the voice on the radio to the left - literally beside you to the left.

Two years ago I was using a pair of B&W CM9 speakers, a Musical Fidelity M6i amp and either a CD or a computer for source.

I had that for a decade and I thought it was good. Little did I know.

I cannot recall hearing height, or spacial effects such as those mentioned in this topic. I had stereo, that was about it.

In the last 2 years I have evolved my system through various hardware changes including B&W 702 S2 Signature speakers, Sonos Port, Bluesound Node, Auralic Aries and Sirius, Musical Fidelity M8xi amp, PrimaLuna EVO 100 DAC and EVO 400 preamp, Musical Fidelity M8-700M monoblocks, REL S/510 sub. And every piece of that hardware is now gone. I now have a full on end-game system, Tidal Contros (streamer/DAC/preamp), Tidal Ferios monoblocks, Tidal Contriva speakers and two REL No. 31 subs. A lot of money, probably out of the reach of many. My advice there is if you are at an age to do so, stick extra from your pay into your superannuation. When you can access it, you should have the funds to enjoy life, it worked for me.

That aside… Until I got the Tidal electronics to go with these speakers, I had no idea what was possible when it comes to soundstage quality and definition.

It’s early days but my experience so far has been beyond wildest expectations. Never heard anything even close to this level. It’s like I was fluffing around at the edges before compared to how good it is now. I did not know what to expect - I knew what I had was good so I was a bit concerned I wasn’t going to hear much difference. Damn, those fears are history.

Getting myself back on topic, and why I found this topic, I wanted to see if other people experience this height phenomenon. I don’t understand how it works, but whether it is a trick of the mind, imagination, room characteristics, or whether it is real, I am glad it exists. 
I have had friends come and listen, I have asked them to close their eyes, I play a track with this effect and ask them to point to the source. Their results prove it isn’t my imagination.

Now I’m off to explore the suggestions people have commented on here, so thanks for the suggestions.

It‘s not just the speakers.  Good isolation of the components and cabling, I found helps to sharpen and focus the images.  My current system, depending on the recording will paint a 3D soundstage that goes beyond the walls- if I close my eyes or turn out the lights.  It was fun af first.  I could close my eyes and hear the large sound stage and then open my eyes and see the walls cutting right through the band.  Now I can hear the full sound stage mostly with my eyes still open.  

Eric Clapton records are a good example.  On one he is standing.  His voice is about 6 feet high and his guitar is about 3-4 feet high.  On the Unplugged album, he is sitting and his voice is 4 feet high while his guitar is 3 feet high.  Several recordings do things like that.  Drums will be about 2-3 feet high and cymbals just a little higher up.  Other albums have everything at the same height- instruments and voices.  Some albums are a flat wall of sound while most have instruments and voices in various positions front to back as well as left to right.  Some Chorale pieces have voices from floor to ceiling- very dramatic.  Well recorded piano is interesting.  Sometimes the piano seems placed at a diagonal and sometimes it is at a right angle.  I can think of one recording where the piano is left to right on the stage.  Makes it feel like the piano is almost in my face.  Just depends on the recording.

I have used the Roger Waters track for a few years as one test for speaker placement.  My current speakers put the dogs at the extreme right far away and the talking man at my extreme left about 8 feet away.  I hear sounds behind me now and then.  Don‘t really care for that.

Vinyl used to be the best for a big open soundstage and images but my current digital side does the job just as well as vinyl now.   

Sounds stage beyond the speakers width is mostly room reflections. Try taking the speakers outside and see how they sound. I would bet they sound pretty different.