Sound Stage and Imaging

I love speakers who 'paint a big picture' (I am literally closing my eyes and trying to SEE a picture). Therefore I THINK I like to see IMAGING and BIG SOUND STAGE. And also like DYNAMICS.

Being frugal (just not willing to spent audiophile level money on it), I love to persuit 'bang for buck' solutions in general.

With above goals in mind for a speaker: what hits the marks in the low fi (audiphile scale) $2k (used or new) budget range. (I have 2 setups: one HUGE room, one 20x20).

kraftwerkturbo

hickamore:  check hifishark.  There's a pair for $2500 now and, if you look under SOLD section, you'll see a good deal many have sold in the $2000 range or less, and I've bought many pairs of older speakers without crossover issues.  I'm sure it's something to consider but a demo should tell you whether there's an problem or not.

Head over to the "ADS and Braun Speakers Fan" Facebook page and try to score a well-cared for pair of ADS L2020s, (which will fill your huge room) and / or ADS L1530s or L1230s. These are considered the pinnacle of ADS design and produce great imaging and sound stage, especially if you bi-amp them. Many of the units on the market have been recapped by the legendary Richard So, a former designer at ADS, who is still repairing and re-capping ADS speakers from his workshop in Arizona.

Soundstage is all about room interaction (wall reflections). It is important to have even dispersion as you get off axis so the reflections don’t color the tonal balance of the speaker.

For $2000 used you can get a pair of Revel F208. They measure exceptionally well and throw a huge sound stage and can play real loud. The bass could use a sub for my tastes but a slightly high bass roll off is their only flaw in their price range. They put a lot of speakers costing a lot more to shame. There are a few pairs on audio mart in your price range. 

Tekton Design is within your budget and will provide the sound quality you are looking for. Today’s listings include a pair off Double Impacts for $1,900. There is a lot of positive reviews online for these speakers.