Sound quality impact - preamp vs power amp?

So how best to deploy available funds.  Better to spend on a high end preamp or outstanding power amp?  This assumes you already have high end stuff elsewhere in system.

emergingsoul
Emergingsoul, I want to to tell you before you eventually get indoctrinated here and lose your common sense, I agree with you on the use of tubes and their application..
They are so much different tubes amplifiers , they are so much S.S. amplifiers also...

They are so much different pre amp and different power amp....

How can one may devise a solution or a choice applicable to all?

In audio all these debates and wars about tube/ S.S. or digital/vinyl, power amp/pre-amp, are meaningless because there is not one choice applicable to all...

In audio tough there is a rule universally applicable:

We must learn how to control and treat any audio system mechanically, electrically and acoustically...

This is the key for the creation of real audio experience....Any other solution which pretend to be the best solution for all ,is only  fetichism, habits, marketting conditioning, tastes, money throwing, ignorance.... Sorry....

Happy new year for all of us....A better year will be great....😊
Sometimes I wonder if when audiophiles physically gather if they speak to each other the way they do on these posts?  There are many different flavors of audiophiles: the self exclaimed expert, the I have to have the best audiophile, the reasonable approach audiophile, the newbie,  the tubest, the if you have Class D...you are only mid-fi audiophile, the pure dick-head audiophile, the I am an engineer and testing matters more than listening audiophile, the rich guy audiophile who says if you were only willing to mortgage your house to buy those speakers you you would be happier audiophile and the ever present old stuff and vinyl is the only way audiophile:-).  Ok, so be it, but lets not speak down our noses to each other.  I have had many different systems.  Some were "mid-fi" and some "hi-fi."  I have enjoyed them all in their own time.  Let's leave it at that...
@jaulbrich -- Your post made me laugh because it was such a compact and insightful compendium of (to modify the old jazz standard title) "All the Things We Are." I also laughed because there is this constant forgetting about what the hobby is about (in other words, that it can be about so *many* things, none superior to the others). And none of us think or say, "Someone who knows about main courses really knows about 'food' but a baker or a wine maker doesn't." No, we say, they *all* know about food. So, there is something weird that happens (sometimes) in this hobby when people want to collapse the different purposes at work into a single end, and then argue about that end. 
Post removed