Sota Sapphire and Isolation?

Greetings, y'all! I should be receiving my new Sota Sapphire on Tuesday. I'm psyched! I currently have my Rega on a Gingko Cloud isolation platform. Since the Sota is a suspended table, will I need the isolation? Obviously, I won't know anything until I get the table setup, but my excitement is looking for any reason to engage with my new Sota. LOL. Thanks, y'all!

rblondeau

Thank for this discussion y'all. I'll have to read it again when the TT arrives. I'm just gonna start with the TT on the shelf, see how that goes, and then experiment with the Gingko platform. It's not spring-loaded, by the way, it's a platform (uncertain of material) that rests on rubber balls. The number of balls used depends on the weight of the TT. Anyway, thanks for the discussion!

Soix, you do want the SOTA on a solid support, which is the road bed in my analogy. Perhaps think of a spring suspension that bounces at 2 cps. Now mount it on a spring suspended shelf that bounces at any different frequency. Can you see that the two suspensions will interact negatively? At some frequency the TT will be disturbed to a greater degree than if there’s only one suspension by energy coming from below the bottom suspension..

I owned a SOTA Sapphire from the early 80’s, purchased new from the factory when it was still in downtown Oakland, CA by the Coliseum.   Nothing short of nuclear testing in the room would cause an audible issue.   That is a fabulous table.   I can’t speak for the current version, but I’d experiment with what you’ve got.   I wouldn’t be surprised to find that adding additional isolations does not help.

good luck and remember to just enjoy the music.

Thorens makes an isolation pad made with layers of some kind of foam.  Check it out, it's only a couple hundred bucks.