Sony 5400 question

Can I use the sony to play sacd's as I normaly do and have the digital out connected to a dac and use as a transport. That way I can still play my sacd's and incorporate maybe a benchmark w/usb for better redbook playback and also get into computer stored hi res files via usb?
russe41
The coaxial Digital Output (SPDIF) of the Sony SCD-XA5400ES will only output the CD layer of the SACD being reproduced, not the hi rez of SACD. You won´t get any digital out when playing the SACD layer. Another thing is the HDMI output, but that´s another story (I would like to try HDMI output to Atlona HD577 which strips the hi rez; in this case, the Sony would need to send PCM thru HDMI).
Regards,
It will be interesting to compare the XA5400ES with the Benchmark, because the Sony unaided by a separate DAC seems excellent with redbook.

db
Thats exactly how I've hooked up my SCD333es player to my Benchmark USB DAC. I did have to procure a switch box for the SACD out, as I have run out of inputs on my pre-amp. By the way,I do like the sound of the Benchmark. It is a wonderfull piece of equipment.
Good luck, John